Star '91 Question

So, Star '91 is probably one of the five best champion shows ever (I personally have it first, but I can see arguments for SCV '89/Cavies '02/BD '14/etc.). But there's a question about it that just popped into my head tonight.

So, we've read the story of Zingali teaching the cross-to-cross on the fly, more or less coming up with it on the spot in rehearsal one day. Does anyone remember what the ending to the show was before that got put in?

I don't know when it got put in in the season, so I have no idea what parts of the country would have seen the original ending. And it's unlikely that publicly available video of it survives, unless someone still has their VHS that they recorded with their camcorder in 1991.

Anyone happen to know?

35 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

So, Star '91 is probably one of the five best champion shows ever (I personally have it first, but I can see arguments for SCV '89/Cavies '02/BD '14/etc.). But there's a question about it that just popped into my head tonight.

So, we've read the story of Zingali teaching the cross-to-cross on the fly, more or less coming up with it on the spot in rehearsal one day. Does anyone remember what the ending to the show was before that got put in?

I don't know when it got put in in the season, so I have no idea what parts of the country would have seen the original ending. And it's unlikely that publicly available video of it survives, unless someone still has their VHS that they recorded with their camcorder in 1991.

Anyone happen to know?

That’s a great question.  I saw their show several times that year but I don’t remember the original ending.  The last one is burned into my memory.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s a great question.  I saw their show several times that year but I don’t remember the original ending.  The last one is burned into my memory.  

I saw them once, live, mid-season.  Don't remember the original ending.  Even without the final ending, it was clear that this show would be a classic... brass was so clean and drill so demanding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

I saw them once, live, mid-season.  Don't remember the original ending.  Even without the final ending, it was clear that this show would be a classic... brass was so clean and drill so demanding.

And great GE.

As for the new ending.  It's been years since I heard how and where GZ added it, but I'm thinking it was done at a night time practice in a BU parking lot.  BRASSO or craiga might have the correct answer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And great GE.

As for the new ending.  It's been years since I heard how and where GZ added it, but I'm thinking it was done at a night time practice in a BU parking lot.  BRASSO or craiga might have the correct answer.

Didn't they actually have people pull up their cars close to field and turn on their lights..so they could have some sort of light source learning the new ending?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And great GE.

or ask a few that might have been there:xmas: there are a few from time to time here:whistle: maybe they were there too

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

And great GE.

Sorry .. but I couldn't tell anyone here where or when Zingali came up with his brilliantly creative Cross to Cross '91 Star of Indiana visual move. I wouldn't  know. He had left 27th, the Cadets, and these East Coast Corps staffs by then and thus was nowhere near  Boston University ( "BU " ) when he came up with this visual move for this Indiana based Drum Corps in '91.

Edited by BRASSO

I remember the old ending musically, but I don't know how to describe it.  It was generally the same music, less powerful, and more staccato.  I seem to remember a floating form, maybe with stars instead of the cross to cross.