Star '91 Question

On 12/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, BRASSO said:

Sorry .. but I couldn't tell anyone here where or when Zingali came up with his brilliantly creative Cross to Cross '91 Star of Indiana visual move. I wouldn't  know. He had left 27th, the Cadets, and these East Coast Corps staffs by then and thus was nowhere near  Boston University ( "BU " ) when he came up with this visual move for this Indiana based Drum Corps in '91.

A good friend of mine Terry Keenan (27th) told me at a weeknight show in the Manning Bowl " wait till you see their new ending, George taught it last night on the fly" , So it's a good bet that they were in the Boston area when they learned it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Your right!  First time I watched him.  Hope he got hazardous duty pay.

he had to have worked it before. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, Jeff Ream said:

wow nothing on Youtube from earlier in the year

I heard the original ending somewhere on YouTube recently. If I find a link, I'll post it.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

I want to say when I saw them at DCI Canada in 1991 (a show I miss very much) that they ended in some Crown shape.  I did not see the new ending until DCI Mid America in Bloomington, IN. It is still the greatest visual/musical ending I've ever seen. 

On 12/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, Ghost said:

And great GE.

As for the new ending.  It's been years since I heard how and where GZ added it, but I'm thinking it was done at a night time practice in a BU parking lot.  BRASSO or craiga might have the correct answer.

I  forget what George's early '91 drill write was for Star of Indiana, before he wrote that iconic Cross to Cross visual closer.   'Have no idea where he was when he wrote it either,. But its highly unlikely it was" the BU Parking lot," as he was long gone by then with his Boston Commonwealth Armory winter's rehearsal days there . This was written by George for this midwestern based Corps in mid to late season in '91, don't forget, Ghost . We have Star of Indiana alums here on DCP from time time, perhaps they'll recall what George had for them as their visual closer earlier that '91 season before his creative genius produced that famous Cross to Cross..

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I  forget what George's early '91 drill write was for Star of Indiana, before he wrote that iconic Cross to Cross visual closer.   'Have no idea where he was when he wrote it either,. But its highly unlikely it was" the BU Parking lot," as he was long gone by then with his Boston Commonwealth Armory winter's rehearsal days there . This was written by George for this midwestern based Corps in mid to late season in '91, don't forget, Ghost . We have Star of Indiana alums here on DCP from time time, perhaps they'll recall what George had for them as their visual closer earlier that '91 season before his creative genius produced that famous Cross to Cross..

If it was during the summer, I would agree with you it was not in the armory, but Star was in Boston for a show in August, so the BU field for a practice site would have been a possibility. I don’t recall which ending was used at that show. However, that summer I worked at B.C. High at a summer program and a corps reheased in the area between the school and U-Mass Boston that I thought was Star of Indiana, though I would not bet the farm on it. If I am correct, and I know it’s an “if,” it could  mean that the changes happened in Boston, and if the changes were made at this practice site, it would have made the headlights necessary. For those who may wonder why B.C. High’s stadium with lights was not used, I believe the field was being reseeded that summer and the track was being repaired so the stadium was unavailable. Other years different corps used the stadium and allowed the kids to watch and get up close and personal—a great thing for inner-city kids who needed exposure to positive things.

• Like 1