Star '91 Question

From Bill Cook, 'Recollections of Star of Indiana,' circa 1996:'

'On August
4th, Star arrived in Boston.  With the help of his care
giver, George arrived at the stadium to meet his corps.
Something happened to him that afternoon--he seemed
transformed, energized.  His strength had returned--it was
the "old" George on the field that day--"You've got to be
shittin me!"  "That's wonderful!" "Cupcake, you were
terrible!"   Late in the afternoon, he told Jim--"the new
closer is not right."  A few minutes later, he left the
stadium.  None of us knew where he had gone or if he would
be back.   About eight o'clock, George returned and said:
"we are going to have two crosses at the finish instead of
one." The next five hours were unbelievable.  He ran from
one section to another telling members where they should be
at the end of the final cross.  He wanted them to count
measures--"count and run around until time to make your
final set."   Hour after hour, the corps tried and failed
but finally, at 2 a.m. the next morning, the cross was seen.
The next night in Lynn, Star put in the new move; needless
to say, there were more than a few wrecks at the end but we
won over SCV by 1.9 points.'

Read the whole thing-worth it 

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/rec.arts.marching.drumcorps/CHQnHgE42vQ/QQQrWZiW_XoJ

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

From Bill Cook, 'Recollections of Star of Indiana,' circa 1996:'

'On August
4th, Star arrived in Boston.  With the help of his care
giver, George arrived at the stadium to meet his corps.
Something happened to him that afternoon--he seemed
transformed, energized.  His strength had returned--it was
the "old" George on the field that day--"You've got to be
shittin me!"  "That's wonderful!" "Cupcake, you were
terrible!"   Late in the afternoon, he told Jim--"the new
closer is not right."  A few minutes later, he left the
stadium.  None of us knew where he had gone or if he would
be back.   About eight o'clock, George returned and said:
"we are going to have two crosses at the finish instead of
one." The next five hours were unbelievable.  He ran from
one section to another telling members where they should be
at the end of the final cross.  He wanted them to count
measures--"count and run around until time to make your
final set."   Hour after hour, the corps tried and failed
but finally, at 2 a.m. the next morning, the cross was seen.
The next night in Lynn, Star put in the new move; needless
to say, there were more than a few wrecks at the end but we
won over SCV by 1.9 points.'

Read the whole thing-worth it 

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/rec.arts.marching.drumcorps/CHQnHgE42vQ/QQQrWZiW_XoJ

Hey. good find, mfrontz!... it appears George did  come up with the idea for the Cross to Cross in '91 while Star was in the Boston region . I think its unlikely it was the BU Parking lot( but who knows ), But it definately appears now that he came up with it while back home in the Boston region and implemented it for the 1st time at a show on the north shore of Boston ( Lynn, Ma. ). Cool !.

Edited by BRASSO

Most here I would tend to think are familiar with the '91 Star of Indiana  closer that we are talking about here on this new thread topic, However, it was over 25 years ago now ( yikes.. hard to believe.. lol ), and so there might be a few that visit here wondering what is the " 91 Star of Indiana "Cross to Cross" visual that is being discussed. To assist any unfamiliar, the discussion revolves around this visual created by George Zingali for the Star of Indiana Corps and utilized in later part of the 1991 season by them. ( and also what was the previous visual closer that season before this one was added in August right before Championships )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I think Tim K. might be right with Star using BU's football stadium.

Tim K states above the BU football stadium is a" possibility, but not the BU Parking lot," or Commonwealth Armory (approx.100 feet from BU ). I think its unlikely that Star stayed and practiced at BU's stadium though in '91, Ghost ( but who knows ). Most Corps from out of state that compete in Lynn ( north shore of Mass) don't stay and practice in the City of Boston if they don't have a show there in the City of Boston. They'd prefer to be outside the city for their housing/practices.  I looked at Star 91 schedule, and they were coming from a show up in Ontario, Canada on the 3rd, and competing in Lynn on the 6th. BU did have DCI and DCA shows back then on BU's Nickerson Field ( I performed on them with Corps ), and as such Corps stayed and practiced throughout the city of Boston when the show was in the City, or in nearby Chestnut Hill. But in '91, Star's shows did not appear to take them into a show in the City of Boston, and with the horrendous traffic there, my guess they'd not want to travel into the city of Boston, practice on fields there in the City, if they had no shows in the City. BUT.... I did not think that George Zingali came up with the idea to do the Cross to Cross anywhere in the Massachusetts region, but now appears that he did,... someplace in Massachusetts, anyway... lol... hey, not to split hairs on this with you either. Maybe it was the BU parking lot afterall, who knows ?... haha!...

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Maybe it was the BU parking lot afterall, who knows ?... haha!...

Or maybe it was the Fargo Bldg. parking lot in Southie which Boston used for many years.  Must be a weekend off for many DCP posters since no one has the accurate answer yet.  No biggie.

• Like 1

Possibilities of where Star may have stayed in 1991.

There was an athletic director at one of the Catholic high schools, his name escapes me now, who was close to Monsignor McNeill from the CYO days who used to help corps find housing sites in the Boston area which continued for many years after CYO Nationals days and before BAC revived the show. I thought he told me he used to use B.C. High and Catholic Memorial, in Dorchester and West Roxbury respectfully, both in the Boston city limits. Though he never mentioned St. John’s Seminary in Brighton, it was mentioned in a historical thread as a one time housing site but I know for certain that would never have been the case. Seminarians could stay in their rooms for the summer, the seminary gym was nothing more than a glorified racket ball court with a basketball hoop,  and there would not have been accommodations for women. I can’t say for certain the fields were not used for practice and in my time when shows were held at B.C., I do recall corps gathering to warm up at the seminary. I know Bishop Fenwick in Peabody was a housing and practice site as was Archbishop Williams. Another site he sometimes arranged that was not a Catholic school was Lynn English. I’m not sure if Garfield stayed at Lynn English back in the day but I know a few years back Cadets stayed there.

While the headlights story would not make sense with BU, either field or armory parking lot, there is something I forgot that could make BU a possibility. The connection may not have been George Zingali, but George Bonfiglio. My recollection is that he and Bill Cook were pretty close and when 27th had their infamous bus problems, it was Star that came to the rescue. 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:49 PM, ftwdrummer said:

So, Star '91 is probably one of the five best champion shows ever (I personally have it first, but I can see arguments for SCV '89/Cavies '02/BD '14/etc.). But there's a question about it that just popped into my head tonight.

So, we've read the story of Zingali teaching the cross-to-cross on the fly, more or less coming up with it on the spot in rehearsal one day. Does anyone remember what the ending to the show was before that got put in?

Anyone happen to know?

Nobody yet seems to know on here ( me neither ). Its like asking  NFL football fans the names of the 6 QB's drafted in the 2000 NFL Draft by other teams before Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round  by the N.E. Patriots. Some things  that go before are just too easily forgettable, when what follows becomes so iconically memorable.... lol.

Edited by BRASSO

Mingus, I believe that's from the UT Dallas or UT Arlington stadium (can't remember which) the week of finals.  I remember members that year saying the tape they laid down on that turf got melted in and Cook had to buy new turf or something.

As mentioned in the post quoting  the drum major Bobby Hullet, the cross was learned before their Lynn Massachusetts show it was put in somewhere nearby.  I might be confusing things but I remember in '92 we got to stay at a small college in Massachusetts before the Lynn show (dorm rooms and everything) which was the same place they had stayed in '91.  I seem to remember hearing it was chosen for it's proximity to George (obviously that decision was made before his death).  I also seem to remember the vets getting to visit George's grave.  A little bit of Googling of George, I noticed he was buried in nearby Malden.   So, a small university or college somewhere near Malden, Mass is my best guess.  I'll let someone from '91 fill in the gaps.

• Like 1