Star '91 Question

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

This remains for me the greatest closing minute in DCI history.

Yup.. its a great final minute. Its in my top 3 or 4  as well

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I think I was at both shows too, but then again, I can't recall what I had for breakfast some days, so can't swear to it.... lol

I’m pretty sure the last time I saw Star live was in 1991. I’m sure I caught at least one show, but I don’t remember it being in Beverly. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I’m pretty sure the last time I saw Star live was in 1991. I’m sure I caught at least one show, but I don’t remember it being in Beverly. 

I  know I never saw Star of Indiana's terrific '93 show either, as they did not come to N.E. that '93 summer tour, ( nor Allentown) and I did not attend  DCI Championships in Jackson, Miss that season either.

Edited by BRASSO

On 4/16/2018 at 8:43 AM, mingusmonk said:

This might help on the whole location debate.

cross.jpg

This is UT- Arlington.  We went to watch them rehearse that evening.  While we were there, GZ told them that he wanted to try having them do the second cross 4 steps in front of the taped form.  They tried it one time without adjusting the tape, and absolutely nailed it!  It was a jaw-dropping experience for me.

• Like 5

On 4/17/2018 at 3:09 AM, drumcorpsfan4 said:

First of all thank you for talking about a corps long gone. Now to end all speculation it was at Boston University Stadium. Spent all day there except when inter murals used the field. After midnight sometime George sent the staff out. It isall true just George and us on the field. He went to each grouping and told us what he wanted. Now let us please not forget the contributions of Joe Keays and Ken Carlin in cleaning and defining as much as they could in two weeks. But it all happened at BU stadium then the Lynn show where carnage insued the first night. As for Endicott don't remember but I do remember that they had a McLobster At McDonald's near BU. No I didn't get it. 

Oh to the post above in regards to 91 "Dreams " Crown 12 harder believe me I know 

also got to use the BU student center to shower that and the sauna were definitely Box 5

When was this during the summer? I can't seem to find Star at any shows in MA in 91. 

6 minutes ago, DAvery said:

.When was this during the summer? I can't seem to find Star at any shows in MA in 91. 

August 6, 1991, Manning Bowl, Lynn, MA.  BAC, SCV, Glassmen, and L’Insolite also appeared in that show.

Spoke with a '91 contra via chat regarding the final ending - here is what he wrote:

"It was in Boston, Mass for sure.  It was at the university downtown.  First performance of it was at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Mass.  Then to Bloomington for that regional and then to UTA (University of Texas- Arlington) for housing during finals.  I think we had a total of 9 days of time with that cross to cross"

"We went through several endings that season.  The one before the cross to cross was a cross folded down into a crown and back out to a cross."

Its also interesting to note how dominant Star of Indiana was in 1991 too. Except for an early season competition  loss (by a few tenths  in June to the Madison Scouts,) Star never lost a show in July or August of that '91 season. They won all the local, big regionals, and all 3 at Dallas DCI Championships sbows. As for the Cross to Cross  visual change, made reportedly in Massachusetts by native born Bay Stater George Zingali after the Hamilton, Ontario show there on August 4th, their score spread with SCV went down 1 .40 points immediately after replacement with the Cross to Cross. In Hamilton Ontario, on 8/4 ( before the Cross to Cross insertion ) the spread with SCV was 3.40 pts, then on the 5th the Cross to Cross must have been put in  Massachusetts, because the 1st show it was reportedly put in was 8/6 in Lynn, Ma, and the spread after the Cross to Cross was inserted with SCV there in Lynn, Ma was reduced to a 1.90 pt spread.. Star's overall score dropped .7 tenths in its 1st show with the Cross to Cross. its not that unusual however to see a Corps scores drop after a major visual change is made in a Corps show. ( usually execution related )But it is rather unusual to see the overall score and the spreads drop when that visual is so GE Visual oriented that over 25 years later it still stands the test of time as one of the best creative visual moves for a closer in DCI History.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Euphscott said:

Spoke with a '91 contra via chat regarding the final ending - here is what he wrote:

"It was in Boston, Mass for sure.  It was at the university downtown.  First performance of it was at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Mass.  Then to Bloomington for that regional and then to UTA (University of Texas- Arlington) for housing during finals.  I think we had a total of 9 days of time with that cross to cross"

"We went through several endings that season.  The one before the cross to cross was a cross folded down into a crown and back out to a cross."

That would have to be BU then.  BC and Harvard aren't even in Boston...(cue the rivalry flames)