Star '91 Question

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

That would have to be BU then.  BC and Harvard aren't even in Boston...(cue the rivalry flames)

True..

16 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Its also interesting to note how dominant Star of Indiana was in 1991 too. Except for an early season competition  loss (by a few tenths  in June to the Madison Scouts,) Star never lost a show in July or August of that '91 season. They won all the local, big regionals, and all 3 at Dallas DCI Championships sbows. 

Madison actually gave them a 2.3 point whooping on 6/28 - 78.1 to 75.8. I remember that because it was so shocking. Star was the clear leader at that time, so a 2.3 point loss was huge. I always wondered what happened that night. I gather nothing out of the ordinary since the next night Star won 79.3 to 79.2. So for a moment in time Madison was arguably the best corps in 1991, or one of them. Madison also beat everyone that year, at least once. One of the few times that's happened. The only other loss Star sustained in 1991 was a 0.6 loss to the Cavaliers on 6/27. So two losses in a row, then nothing but wins.

I didn't appreciate that show during the 1991. I appreciated 1990 Star from the first viewing, but not 1991 (or 1993). It wasn't until like 15 years later when I pulled out the CD and was completely awestruck by 1991 Star. 1993 would come a year later. Huge Star homer. Miss them every year. They were utterly amazing. I consider 1991 and 1993 to be two of the absolutely greatest shows ever. That 1992 hornline, I consider the best ever.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Madison actually gave them a 2.3 point whooping on 6/28 - 78.1 to 75.8. I remember that because it was so shocking. Star was the clear leader at that time, so a 2.3 point loss was huge. I always wondered what happened that night. I gather nothing out of the ordinary since the next night Star won 79.3 to 79.2. So for a moment in time Madison was arguably the best corps in 1991, or one of them. Madison also beat everyone that year, at least once. One of the few times that's happened. The only other loss Star sustained in 1991 was a 0.6 loss to the Cavaliers on 6/27. So two losses in a row, then nothing but wins.

I didn't appreciate that show during the 1991. I appreciated 1990 Star from the first viewing, but not 1991 (or 1993). It wasn't until like 15 years later when I pulled out the CD and was completely awestruck by 1991 Star. 1993 would come a year later. Huge Star homer. Miss them every year. They were utterly amazing. I consider 1991 and 1993 to be two of the absolutely greatest shows ever. That 1992 hornline, I consider the best ever.

it was back during Drum Corps Midwest right?

so there ya go...they were Roman Blenski'd 

I feel the same as you about Star. Best part of my drum corps experience EVER

92 horn line was god like

93 show was 2 decades ahead of time

91 should have been unbeaten 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

My son's dorm at BU overlooks Nickerson Field. I may have to do a tribute when I go pick him up next month.

Be sure to bring a G Bugle, Hockey Puck & Stick for the tribute ceremony, mfrontz.

On 4/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, mfrontz said:

Only there are some errors. Example - Star scored 92.8 in 1988, not 95.5. And 97.0 in 1991, not 97.3.

Edited by queenanne_1536

On 4/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, George Dixon said:

it was back during Drum Corps Midwest right?

so there ya go...they were Roman Blenski'd 

Are you saying Madison didn't deserve to beat them that night? I wasn't there, but I don't think I've ever seen an instance where Madison was placed higher than they deserve. Star had an insanely difficult show that year, and Madison was a darn good 7th place corps, so I don't think there was any foul play there. With a show that difficult, it would make sense that Star would have up and down nights, especially in June. 

1990-1993 Star is definitely in my top 10 shows of all time. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

30 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Are you saying Madison didn't deserve to beat them that night? I wasn't there, but I don't think I've ever seen an instance where Madison was placed higher than they deserve. Star had an insanely difficult show that year, and Madison was a darn good 7th place corps, so I don't think there was any foul play there. With a show that difficult, it would make sense that Star would have up and down nights, especially in June. 

I wasn't there. I'm saying DCI Midwest was known to hand out some very odd scores

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I was there.  No, they shouldn’t have beaten Star.  Weird things always happened in Dekalb.