DCA DCI how many DCA corps?

How many DCA corps are now listed for DCI ,to compete in DCI all age group. if offer a show on the same date by each who do they choose?

the only place i would imagine seeing a corps turning down a DCA gig for a DCi gig would be C2 if it was a YEA run show

• Like 2

So what corps are now signed up for DCI all -age 

In the Northeast where there is a DCA show pretty much every weekend over the summer I am pretty sure no DCA corps will compete in an all age DCI category. C2 does exhibitions at yea shows and DCI East, and other corps do exhibitions. But a DCA corps on a tuesday night is usually not a good indication of what that corps is normallu like.They do have DCI/DCA shows but they are judged on different score sheets. Out of theNortheast it is different and for geography reasons . DCA corps compete in all age DCI on DCI scoresheets judged by DCI judges. However getting DCI scores does not help DCA corps since DCA looks for other things, though the judges comments may help a corps improve its performance for DCA.   I know that in the south DCA corps joined with DCI open class for some shows and used DCI judges basically because it would cost a lot of money to bring in DCA judges. I know that Carolina GOld, CV, Alliance usually competed for a score at DCI south in all age catagory.  I think that MBI and Kilties have competed and been scoredat DCI Minnesota.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, totaleefree said:

In the Northeast where there is a DCA show pretty much every weekend over the summer I am pretty sure no DCA corps will compete in an all age DCI category. C2 does exhibitions at yea shows and DCI East, and other corps do exhibitions. But a DCA corps on a tuesday night is usually not a good indication of what that corps is normallu like.They do have DCI/DCA shows but they are judged on different score sheets. Out of theNortheast it is different and for geography reasons . DCA corps compete in all age DCI on DCI scoresheets judged by DCI judges. However getting DCI scores does not help DCA corps since DCA looks for other things, though the judges comments may help a corps improve its performance for DCA.   I know that in the south DCA corps joined with DCI open class for some shows and used DCI judges basically because it would cost a lot of money to bring in DCA judges. I know that Carolina GOld, CV, Alliance usually competed for a score at DCI south in all age catagory.  I think that MBI and Kilties have competed and been scoredat DCI Minnesota.

CT won DCA Class 'A' in 2017 without competing in a DCA show prior to prelims. In fact their highest DCI score was used for seeding in prelims (first corps on). CT provides DCA sheets to the contest director - judges understand the DCA sheets for evaluation. 

I have to disagree that DCI scores don't help DCA corps.

CT embraces the opportunity to compete and perform in both DCI and DCA venues.

CT will have four (4) DCI shows and two (2) DCA shows in 2018 prior to prelims.

Summer Music Games 6/25,  DCI Northern Kentucky 7/14, Legends Drum Corps Invitational 7/29, Soaring Sounds 39 7/30, and two DCA shows, Columbus Ohio and Atlanta Georgia with dates TBD.

DCI venues provide CT members with the opportunity to perform with DCI's best World and Open Class corps, many are peers with CT members. In addition, excellent recruiting opportunities,  large crowds of enthusiastic fans (very well attended), highest level of adjudication with remarkable feedback , and within reasonable geographic areas to Cincinnati at a minimum incurred cost to the CT organization. It's a win-win and the approach has paid-off in allowing CT to grow in talent and increased membership. IMO a good philosophy by a experienced administration.

I'm looking forward to their staff and show announcement, and/or their plans for the up coming 2018 season. I believe we will all be surprised.

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well said, Jim.

Obviously, not having a DCA gig in '17 didn't hurt CT at all. They have adapted to the reality of the world they live in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Obviously CT got positive input from their DCI Panels to help them prepare and get ready for Championship weekend. I;d think it hads to be a plus for them.

Competition reps matter. You get them when you can regardless of what vowel is at the end of the acronym when it's not easy to get to a DCA contest, period.

Back in the 70's, many corps went to RCA competitions when it was difficult to get invites and into DCA shows when the corps wasn't a full member or geographically out of the loop. The Westshoremen used RCA to build their program and develop into a consistent finalist from 1977 to 1983. The same applies here in going where you can and performing for an audience and getting good commentary.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said, Jim.

Obviously, not having a DCA gig in '17 didn't hurt CT at all. They have adapted to the reality of the world they live in.

CT has a solid relationship with other performance arts groups in Ohio. They do a great job of accepting kids with mixed levels of experience, some who were not offered a contact to a winter guard, percussion ensemble or World/Open corps. The staff helps them to learn, become better and mature. Come DCA finals weekend most would have never imagined the development. It’s a good model and it’s been working well. 

• Like 2