2018 Rules proposals

Increase maximum membership to 154 - not a fan but it's only 4 more people so whatever

Extend World Championship Finals to 15 corps -  Everyone is a winner and gets a prize but really, its paper thin reasoning “To give added status to corps for use in local fundraising and general recruitment.”” That's needed at the local level, Really? Only into it if they add the extra corps to the DVD/ Blu ray and don't jack finals tickets prices because I smell a money grab

No scoring before July 1 -  everyone is a winner baby move

No scores ordinals only – another everyone is a winner baby move   Seriously, are they all going to march in diapers too? Sometimes, that spread is need in a caption. What’s with all this wimping-out the competition and that 'All decisions are equal. '  No and they shouldn't be

Annual Rules Congress - don't care but I recall it was a cost moves so no more crying poor DCI

limit on the number of brass musicians who can be amplified at any one time to be set at six - yes, yes and yes. I love you Cavies, the marchers love you

Add a “Brass 2” judge at large shows - sure, why not

Remove the Field Percussion and Ensemble Percussion judges and replace them with a percussion judge who will evaluate performances on the field. The second: Utilize a Music Analysis 2 judge at large regional events and the DCI World Championships who has a percussion focus. - no, it's not WGI and "there is a growing consensus that these evolutions will lead us to a more desirable system for all. " oh please, there is a growing consensus you shut up and stop talking for other people

Update the music analysis adjudication sheet.- can't tell as we don't know what that update is, electronic are supposed be judged now 

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I doubt anyone cares but here’s my thoughts on each proposal:

1. Adding four members won’t hurt, they should atleast be truthful about the reasoning behind the proposal though: they just want more members to be able to help setup and move props around during a show

2. Increasing to 15 finalists is a stupid stupid idea. Everyone gets a trophy. How are they going to fit 15 corps onto Lucas Oil for awards? 

3. Interesting proposal from Will Pitts. Seeing that he has gone through multiple seasons as a leader in DCI, he probably has more insight than a lot of those on DCP do about the dynamics that occur in corps at the beginning of a season. I’m just not sure how not having official scoring will influence ticket purchases at the beginning of the season. I’m 50/50 on it

4. Of course Hopkins would propose the dumbest one of them all. Ordinals? Really? That’s not going to do anything to stop one judge from influencing an outcome. If anything, it could make things even worse, taking the nuance right out of it. 

5. Annual rules congress is a good one. I don’t see a reason why not. Especially with the rate of change in trends in DCI. 

6. This is THE proposal. If only one of them can pass THIS HAS TO BE IT. Bravo to Martin from Cavies for bringing it to the table, the excess amplification has to go. 

7. I like the proposal to have a Brass 2 judge at larger competitions, but not if that means proposal #8 is passed too. If there is a separate brass judge for the ensemble, then there’s no need to have two music analysis judges. At that point, keep the two percussion judges and keep music analysis as it is while implementing any new verbiage from proposal 9

• Like 2

ok thoughts:

#1....is 4 more people that big of a deal? my view isnt on field logistics, it's off field logistics and cost.

#2....ahhh the WGI effect. eh...i see both sides. if World is going to keep growing, it makes some sense

#3...just go full panels, problem solved. 

#4....shut up George. if you actually understood the scoring system, at the end or big shows with doubles on those captions, you'll see a big spread has less effect than you think.

#5...i see the logic, as I'm not sure really what in the rules need tweaked that much anymore. 

#6...logical. I'd prefer 10 max, but logical. Doesn't cover sampling and using to reinforce sound though

#7...see 8

#8....close. I'd have brass upstairs and brass downstairs. This almost addresses the problem because depending on your MA guys background, you either get little percussion commentary or to the brass guys views, too much percussion commentary.

#9....yup

I'm agreeing with most of you on most of these, but I don't like the proposal of an annual Rules Conference.  I'd rather see stability in the way the activity is structured and judged rather than constant rules changes.  Every two years is fine, though every three years would be even better.

I do like that the proposal about limiting amplification since it corrects something that probably wasn't anticipated when amplification was first allowed.

I share the generally negative reaction to the ordinals.  It would be a nightmare for the prelims when the judges are judging almost every corps in one day.

Increasing the number of corps competing in finals would give us that once chance to see some great shows one more time, and perhaps have them included on the finals DVD. However from a competitive stand point I would say no. I would wonder if we would have had a 2012 12th place finish for Crossmen, perhaps a 2013 finish for Blue Stars (debatable since they were pretty much shoe-ins by Allentown)  or a 12th place BAC finish in 2016 if there wasn't a 12th place cut off? This is what makes competition exciting. 

Regarding not scoring. Ticket holders who pay money to see shows, money that helps pay the judges, would attend shows where judges would be present and critique shows, but would not know the results because the corps are not scored? Competition is key and fans enjoy it. It's not the job of fans or show sponsors to pay judges to critique corps do they can improve. I also think it would lead to woefully unfinished shows at the beginning of the season. 

Mandatory full judging panels for ALL DCI shows.  Halfazz size early season judging panels with no Percussion judge.. or no Brass Judge... or no Guard judge... or some combination lack thereof,  sends a message of... small time. Its just dopey to attempt to properly judge a Drum& Bugle Corps competition with no Brass or Drum judge for these specific captions. DCI never used to allow this either. DCI Corps have a kazillon people on their payroll in staffs now...  The Corps now are big, big,... BIG...in every way imaginable these days now too. But in order to penny pinch, they allow the kids who are busting their arse to be judged by SMALLER judging panels now that would never have been permitted in previous DCI eras ? Whoa, I know most seem ok with this, but its just so...... small time..... to penny pinch on the costs of the judging of the competitions, imo. The kids pay a lot of bucks now to participate in these scored competitions. The least DCI and the Show Sponsors and the Corps themselves should do is have the adults in charge match the kids and their families commitment to see to it that DCI halfazz size judging panels become a thing of the past, where someday the next generation will look back and ask..... " what the hell were THEY thinking ? " ( on the ridiculousness of allowing the usage of halfazz size judging panels with no Guard/ Brass/ Drums judges in scored competitions. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Mandatory full judging panels for all DCI shows.  Halfazz size early season judging panels with no Percussion judge.. or no Brass Judge... or no Guard judge... or some combination lack thereof,  sends a message of... small time. DCI never used to allow this either. DCI Corps have a kazillon people on their staffs now...  The Corps now are big, big,... BIG...in every way imaginable these days now too. But in order to penny pinch, they allow the kids who are busting their arse to be judged by SMALLER judging now that would never have been permitted in previous DCI eras ? Whoa, I know most seem ok with this, but its just so...... small time, imo

If anything, maybe have those shows be the ones where scores don't get released?