2018 Rules proposals

11 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

Can someone please expain to me ordinal scoring?

lots of pain in in that scoring thats all can tell you.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If ordinal scoring doesn't pass... Hop's next proposal will be to score like figure skating... all judges judge the full monty and toss the hi/lo scores :P

Proposal: No scoring before July 1

Proposed by: Will Pitts, Phantom Regiment

Summary: For all contests before July 1, no scores will be given. Corps will be "adjudicated" with recorded commentary and critiques, but no scores will be assigned or announced.

On the record: “There are numerous moments in the summer where designers and teachers are encouraged to make adjustments to the show to create better clarity/definition. If these comments can be made during a no-scoring period, corps are able to make adjustments before their performances have competitive implications.”

Did he implying slotting without actually saying slotting?

Fans for early season shows will watch Corps exhibitions... not competitions. MM's themselves will perform in exhibitions, not competitions. Judges commentary will carry the same weight as anyone here's commentary on these early season exhibitions. As such, the halfazz size judging panels could be reduced even further. Who needs judges at all in such a wacky non competition scenario as this ? lol. At early season retreats, I hope every Corps gets at least a Participation Trophy for their performance there... lol!

. What a swell idea/ proposal.... lol!

Why stop at July 1st too ?  Why not move it just a few weeks more to the following month ? To say August 11th or so ?

Maybe thats the long range plan. This proposal  is the " pitts ", imo.... lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I doubt anyone cares but here’s my thoughts on each proposal:

1. Adding four members won’t hurt, they should atleast be truthful about the reasoning behind the proposal though: they just want more members to be able to help setup and move props around during a show

2. Increasing to 15 finalists is a stupid stupid idea. Everyone gets a trophy. How are they going to fit 15 corps onto Lucas Oil for awards? 

3. Interesting proposal from Will Pitts. Seeing that he has gone through multiple seasons as a leader in DCI, he probably has more insight than a lot of those on DCP do about the dynamics that occur in corps at the beginning of a season. I’m just not sure how not having official scoring will influence ticket purchases at the beginning of the season. I’m 50/50 on it

4. Of course Hopkins would propose the dumbest one of them all. Ordinals? Really? That’s not going to do anything to stop one judge from influencing an outcome. If anything, it could make things even worse, taking the nuance right out of it. 

5. Annual rules congress is a good one. I don’t see a reason why not. Especially with the rate of change in trends in DCI. 

6. This is THE proposal. If only one of them can pass THIS HAS TO BE IT. Bravo to Martin from Cavies for bringing it to the table, the excess amplification has to go. 

7. I like the proposal to have a Brass 2 judge at larger competitions, but not if that means proposal #8 is passed too. If there is a separate brass judge for the ensemble, then there’s no need to have two music analysis judges. At that point, keep the two percussion judges and keep music analysis as it is while implementing any new verbiage from proposal 9

Everyone gets 8 yds.  Eliminates people getting mad about crossing your line.  That must be the real reason :tongue:

I agree on the brass changes.  Even though I'm not sure why a field brass judge is needed. Upstairs would be fine with me.

The ordinals thing... no.

The "no scores before July 1" thing... no, with a caveat:  

DCA's season-opening show in Wildwood, NJ, mid-June, has been an "evaluation show" the past couple of years... judges give input, but no scores. The new format 1) has not hurt attendance at all... the show's been sold out... and 2) seems to have taken away the worry over whether an early score can, in effect, bury a corps. (DCA has far fewer shows than DCI, so the "make up ground" time window is shorter.) Instead, the corps can just let it fly and get the product out there. 

So... the fans in Wildwood have been seeing full shows (for mid-June...obviously changes will be made all summer). That was not the case in DCA not too many years ago.  

I wonder if a "no scores" opening weekend, or something like that, might be beneficial to the DCI groups. Maybe not all the way through July 1, but the first weekend or so, covering as many corps as possible.

Edited by Fran Haring

Proposal: Increase maximum membership to 154

Me: Fine by me. 

Proposal: Extend World Championship Finals to 15 corps

Me: Fine by me as well. The quality is just so great now beyond 12 that I'm fine with it.

Proposal: No scoring before July 1

Me: I understand the desire, but I would rather not see this one pass. Early season fans at shows deserve a competition, IMO.

Proposal: No scores – ordinals only

Me: I understand this one too. It is not as bad an idea as some make it out to be. It completely flattens out the impact of how various judges create spreads in their captions. On the other hand, the historical purpose of judging a caption has been two fold...ranking (the placement)  and rating (the spread). This eliminates the rating aspect of judging that has been around as long as there has been judging. So I am on the fence on this one.

Proposal: Annual Rules Congress

Me: OK either way on this

Proposal: Brass amplification limitations

Me: Do not favor this. IMO corps should be free to do as they wish as their own show dictates.

Proposal: Add a “Brass 2” judge at large shows

Me: Rather see all judging done from the stands. If this is step 1 of that, fine.

Proposal: Percussion adjudication and music analysis

Me: See above. I'd lose the field judging and place a percussion judge in the stands.

Proposal: Update the music analysis adjudication sheet

Me: Sounds good to me, to review and tweak the sheets. 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

2. Increasing to 15 finalists is a stupid stupid idea. Everyone gets a trophy. How are they going to fit 15 corps onto Lucas Oil for awards? 

That is why the good Lord made risers.  :8_laughing: