2018 Rules proposals

3 hours ago, Cainan said:

Proposal: Increase maximum membership to 154

Proposed by: Brad Furlano, Blue Stars

Summary: Currently set at 150, this four-member increase is proposed as a way to give corps more flexibility to set the number of performers in each section as they see fit.

On the record: “Designers and caption heads [would] no longer have to lobby for the desired numbers for each section. Corps would be able to have 80 brass and 40 guard without having to sacrifice a standard sized percussion section or conductors.”

Meh... what's 4 more members and it kinda makes sense on the surface of it.. we were held to 128 for YEARS so it's not as if we haven't had odd numbers before....

154 is still even ... as was 128

Edited by PamahoNow
accuracy
  • Thanks 1

From Brad's facebook page. 

"Well, my first rules proposal is out in the wild, so I thought I would elaborate just a bit more than the small snippet included in the DCI article. 

My proposal is to increase the maximum membership size of a DCI corps from 150 to 154. This proposal came about after a series of discussions with Russ Gavin over the summer about needing an additional conductor, but not having any available membership positions to do so.

The original idea was to make it so conductors do not count towards the 150 limit, but that just opened up a can of worms about what constitutes a conductor. As we put numbers to paper, it came down to the addition of 4 marching members as solving the most common section breakdown pressure points. 

For the past few years, the Blue Stars have been using the following:

80 brass
37 guard
31 percussion
2 conductors

In any given year it might be 30 percussion and 3 conductors or some other small variation, but our goal at the start of the year has been close to that breakdown. 

But, we would really like to have 80 brass and 40 guard without having to reduce the percussion section. That's just us. Other corps may want to experiment with small vocal choirs, or not have to sacrifice a cymbal section to march 80 brass, or want to have a year with 12 snares, or any number of combinations.

And adding 4 was just enough to open up these possibilities.

I've already received a couple questions about logistics. Most corps are chartering buses now, and bus capacities are 54-56 people per bus (162-168 seats). This proposal very specifically keeps the total corps number below the common capacity of three buses.

The truth is, for most corps these folks are already on tour. They are already traveling and eating. They already have uniforms and equipment. They are already training and practicing with the group. They're called alternates right now. This proposal gives 4 more people the opportunity to get on the field per drum corps without radically altering what we already do.

I will be interested in hearing the dialog at the upcoming rules congress and my hope is the proposal will be passed for implementation in 2018."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

But I wonder if a "no scores" opening weekend, or something like that, might be beneficial to the DCI groups... less pressure to go for a score so early.

The DCI Tour Premiere did this for a couple years not too long ago. The show would be tape-delayed for the theaters and then scores would first be revealed to the world at the very end of the broadcast.

7 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The DCI Tour Premiere did this for a couple years not too long ago. The show would be tape-delayed for the theaters and then scores would first be revealed to the world at the very end of the broadcast.

Yep... I remember that well!!! The "waiting for the scores" thing was kinda cool.... it was nice to speculate.

But I'd be fine with no scores at all, for that first opening weekend.   Just not all the way through July 1.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Proposal: Brass amplification limitations

Me: Do not favor this. IMO corps should be free to do as they wish as their own show dictates

If you really believe that they should be free to do as they wish as their show dictates, the logical conclusion to your belief here is that no rules should exist at all concerning instrumentation and show design limitations.

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

From Brad's facebook page. 

"Well, my first rules proposal is out in the wild, so I thought I would elaborate just a bit more than the small snippet included in the DCI article. 

My proposal is to increase the maximum membership size of a DCI corps from 150 to 154. This proposal came about after a series of discussions with Russ Gavin over the summer about needing an additional conductor, but not having any available membership positions to do so.

The original idea was to make it so conductors do not count towards the 150 limit, but that just opened up a can of worms about what constitutes a conductor. As we put numbers to paper, it came down to the addition of 4 marching members as solving the most common section breakdown pressure points. 

For the past few years, the Blue Stars have been using the following:

80 brass
37 guard
31 percussion
2 conductors

In any given year it might be 30 percussion and 3 conductors or some other small variation, but our goal at the start of the year has been close to that breakdown. 

But, we would really like to have 80 brass and 40 guard without having to reduce the percussion section. That's just us. Other corps may want to experiment with small vocal choirs, or not have to sacrifice a cymbal section to march 80 brass, or want to have a year with 12 snares, or any number of combinations.

And adding 4 was just enough to open up these possibilities.

I've already received a couple questions about logistics. Most corps are chartering buses now, and bus capacities are 54-56 people per bus (162-168 seats). This proposal very specifically keeps the total corps number below the common capacity of three buses.

The truth is, for most corps these folks are already on tour. They are already traveling and eating. They already have uniforms and equipment. They are already training and practicing with the group. They're called alternates right now. This proposal gives 4 more people the opportunity to get on the field per drum corps without radically altering what we already do.

I will be interested in hearing the dialog at the upcoming rules congress and my hope is the proposal will be passed for implementation in 2018."

Translation: We are too wimpy to deal with ticking off any of the caption heads so we will just ask DCI for four more members to be added to the total.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dislike the idea of 15 finalist corps. I'd be open to it once the total amount of corps under DCI starts pushing something like 75.

Anything that hides scores or replaces them solely with placements I ain't a fan of. 

In terms of limiting brass amplification, I like it but I'm not really sure how you get to a specific number. I'd like some form of limitation passed, and I'd like to see modifications done if need be. The annual rules congress would help with this too.

Edited by Narrow

154 - who cares, whatever.

No scores until July - yeah, THAT'll help drive ticket sales for June shows (you're ok with that, right Cali, since that's most of your drum corps "season" for live shows).

15 in Finals. I'd go the opposite. Go to 10, and drive more fan interest in the Friday night show, where there are still thousands of unsold quality seats. 15 would make for an overly long night, and the audience would be exhausted/bored by the last few appearances.

Limits on horn mic'ing. Yes please. 

Annual Rules Congress? Again, I'd go the opposite. Make it every 3 years. DCI spends enough money on meetings and conferences as is, and no mature sport allows for the rules to be changed on an annual basis, especially when there are potential unforeseen consequences of those changes. 

Ordinals - isn't that what Pee Wee soccer league looks like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

154 - who cares, whatever.

No scores until July - yeah, THAT'll help drive ticket sales for June shows (you're ok with that, right Cali, since that's most of your drum corps "season" for live shows).

15 in Finals. I'd go the opposite. Go to 10, and drive more fan interest in the Friday night show, where there are still thousands of unsold quality seats. 15 would make for an overly long night, and the audience would be exhausted/bored by the last few appearances.

Limits on horn mic'ing. Yes please. 

This^^^^^