2018 Rules proposals

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

slotting.

hmm. dont ever year we see a corps start towards the bottom of the finalist levels jump a few spots...or conversely some go down a few? we see movement at the top in little spurts too.

so really...where is the slotting?

I'm not saying there is slotting. I'm saying these rules proposals seem directed at what they think is slotting. 

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Agreed. Look back on the final placement order from this past year and where those corps were at the beginning of the season. At no point was Regiment better than an 8th- 10th place corps, and at no point were Devils and SCV not the 1 and 2 corps. If PR had started their California tour not knowing what their numbers were in relation to the leaders, they would have simply forestalled the truth to July 1, which would have made no difference to their end of the year placement.

Or maybe...just maybe... they stayed in those places because that's where they belonged competitively?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

slotting.

hmm. dont ever year we see a corps start towards the bottom of the finalist levels jump a few spots...or conversely some go down a few? we see movement at the top in little spurts too.

so really...where is the slotting?

After all scores are in the first week of competition BD is sitting 1st; by Finals they may finish 1st but not lower than 3rd; slotting.

Race car driver Graham Rahal finishes 1st in the first race of the season and is 1st in points; by the end of the season he is 14th in points and nowhere close to being the Champion; not slotting.

Subjective competition (slotting), objective sport (not slotting).

Get it now?

Edited by Stu

I propose that for any given corps or corps faculty, only one rule change proposal could be made per decade.

That way certain folks could no longer dictate to the activity or certain corps could not change the rules every time they get an itch. It would also bring some order to the activity without all the politics, especially false proposals being raised in order to lead eventually to a greater change they wish. For instance, no scores in June and July because the designers are more important than the mms and the designers haven't completed the show and the copyrights have yet to come through. Or ordinals except for GE because the corps/director can't get good scores in the technical end and only wants the GE scores to matter.(Funny, that sounds like a few proposals a certain party raised a few times in the last twenty years and keeps on getting voted down no matter what the nomenclature used.) Some want to make the drum and bugle corps activity as chaotic as their personal lives.

I would do away with all brass electronics and mics. That way I and all know that it is the live performer playing the piece and not something spliced in from a studio as was the concern with two certain solos from two different corps in the past decade.

A yearly rules congress is what DCI started with, then shifted to two. Now the new kids want to make it an annual.  I propose that protocols could be adjusted annually, but judging standards and judging values/score sheets could be changed every 3 years to give stability to the activity and to distinguish fads from trends.

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, Brass Lover said:

Or maybe...just maybe... they stayed in those places because that's where they belonged competitively?

Or maybe.... just maybe... subjective adjudicated competition naturally lends itself to slotting. In objective sports first in the first week and last in the final week is a distinct possibility; if that occurred in subjective competition either the early season judges or the latter season judges would get fired.

• Like 1

Good point.

Seems the Blue Devils are quite often "slotted" in 1st or 2nd.  :tongue:

• Like 4

Now that would not leave room for conspiracies ..lol..or at very least a reason why a given favorite of a person did not achieve what an individual thinks they should have. No different from ever..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I think he means to say slotting over the course of a single season. And yeah, from around mid-season onward, it becomes pretty abundantly clear that the judges have made up their minds on where everyone will be placed by season's end (i.e. there have been very few crazy jumps up/down the rankings over the course of weeks or even days).

I'd argue there's been very few times corps have crazily improved to see those kinds of jumps in the rankings anyway though.

Most corps don't get drastically worse over the course of the tour, and it's not like the BD's and Crown's aren't improving at the same or a faster rate than those below them.

Edited by dcsnare93

I would like to see DCI approve a proposal of mine that all of the Blue Devils scores for their season be hidden and stored under lock and key at DCI HQ and not be released to ANYONE outside of the Blue Devils Organization until the Quarterfinals at Championships in August. This way, it limits the sorrow on the scores for the season by the other competitors to no more than 72 hours at most.

Its the humane thing to do, imo