2018 Rules proposals

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I would like to see DCI approve a proposal of mine that all of the Blue Devils scores for their season be hidden and stored under lock and key at DCI HQ and not be released to ANYONE outside of the Blue Devils Organization until the Quarterfinals at Championships in August. This way, it limits the sorrow on the scores for the season by the other competitors to no more than 72 hours at most.

Its the humane thing to do, imo

Yep; it sure would have saved them all that embarrassment in 2008!!!! :satisfied:

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep; it sure would have saved them all that embarrassment in 2008!!!! :satisfied:

Ya well, even a broken clock is right once a day.

18 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I finally had a chance to read the details of each proposal. My only issue is with the two that, after reading, don't make any sense. "No Scores until July 1st" and "Ordinals Only."

Fundamentally, I struggle with solutions for problems that don't exist.

1. Will Pitts doesn't convince me in his document that he is addressing anything that is a problem.
  2. Same for Hopkins. Granted, he is a poor writer. So maybe that is the reason I am not seeing it.

I think the reason for the confusion coming from their proposals (proper English aside) is that they are dancing around their real concern. Slotting. For whatever reasons, they don't seem comfortable in calling a spade a spade.  They would make a better case if they said something like this: "Early season slotting makes overcoming numerical deficits problematic." 

Interesting to note that these are the two corps that were particularly rough in the early season of 2017.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The proposal is pretty basic: "ordinal rankings" which means you'd rank 10 corps in a show 1 through 10, 9 corps appearing? Rank them 1 through 9 in your assigned caption. The GE caption would break a tie in the event of one

Then they would average your ordinal ranking to determine placement in the competition

This approach is already used in various circuits and sports

It eliminates a biased or inexperienced judge throwing off the overall results but inserting a massive spread in a given caption which can swing a corps overall placement a lot, skewing the results

Not exactly.  A biased or inexperienced judge can still affect the overall results just as much when their ordinal is that much higher/lower than those of the other judges.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

slotting.

hmm. dont ever year we see a corps start towards the bottom of the finalist levels jump a few spots...or conversely some go down a few? we see movement at the top in little spurts too.

so really...where is the slotting?

Obviously, among the rest of the corps.  You know - the vast majority of corps who are not moving relative to their competition, whose scores do not reflect the relative fluctuations that occur all over the place both in performance quality and design changes.

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Or, maybe it's just a really dumb idea.  :lle:

I think it's a dumb idea too. Just not sure how it's like giving everyone a trophy. There are very clear placements.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not exactly.  A biased or inexperienced judge can still affect the overall results just as much when their ordinal is that much higher/lower than those of the other judges.

Here is the humor in this chatter:

When all judges come from the same academic/DCI/MB experiencial mold, have the same training, the same musical and artistic value sets, look at the sheets in the same way (which is what DCI desires), the adjudicating results will be consistent; but then they are looked upon as slotting corps and/or in collusion with one another...... On the other hand, when qualified judges come from different experiences outside of academic/DCI/MB (say the commercial side), are trained differently, have different musical and artistic value sets, look at the sheets differently, and score differently from the cookie-cutter crew, they are deemed incompetent. So much so that if Wynton was secured as a guest judge, but scored brass differently than all other DCI Brass judges, even he would likely be deemed incompetent. But such is life in the bubble called the marcing arts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1