2018 Rules proposals

2 hours ago, SFZFAN said:

Too bad there's not a "Outlaw Synthesizers" Proposal.

i was hoping for something that limited the use of sound reinforcement, aka sampling the brass thru the amps to make louds louder. to me, that's more offensive than 20 people with mics.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dans said:

Come on Stu, you know Jeff Ream speaks for everyone on DCP as well as the entire Drum Corps community! Interesting how the moderators of this site ignore his insults. This site is slowly turning into the next version of RAMD.

not speaking for anyone other than what i've learned from talking to people actually in the game.

Merry Christmas to the family Danny! Be sure to stop by Buc Field and say goodbye! Just went down last week while there for work. heart breaking to see it with the trees already gone.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not speaking for anyone other than what i've learned from talking to people actually in the game.

Merry Christmas to the family Danny! Be sure to stop by Buc Field and say goodbye! Just went down last week while there for work. heart breaking to see it with the trees already gone.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Jeff. My wife and I said our goodbyes to Buc Field several times leading up to DCA weekend. Sad, I spent a large part of my life there!

1 hour ago, dans said:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Jeff. My wife and I said our goodbyes to Buc Field several times leading up to DCA weekend. Sad, I spent a large part of my life there!

I'll tell the old man you said Hi! Only spent a summer there, but a great time

I see George Hopkins decided against submitting his "Amplified Flatulence" proposal - at least for this year. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'll tell the old man you said Hi! Only spent a summer there, but a great time

Please do say hi to your dad. I haven't seen or talked to Wally for years...hope he is well! Had some great times at Buc field...some I can talk about, some I can't!

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Just because someone has a drum corps/marching band/WGI background means it's the same as the next person's as everyones level of training and experiences are different. I have the utmost respect in both Jeff and Julie, who if you know anything about them, you'd know they come from different backgrounds and upbringing in the activity.

(By the way I have high respect for Jeff and Julie); but let's test your claim that their backgrounds are so vastly different that they bring a lot of diversity to the adjudicating system: Jeff Graduated from The University of North Texas; Julie graduated from The University of North Texas; Jeff was a member of the UNT PASIC ensemble; Julie was a member of the UNT PASIC ensemble; Jeff has been associated with the PAS Marching Percussion Committee; Julie has been associated with the PAS Marching Percussion Committee; Jeff has written for, instructed, and adjudicated many High School Marching Bands; Julie has written for, instructed, and adjudicated many High School Marching Bands; Jeff was a Professor of Percussion at a University; Julie was a Professor of Percussion at a University; Jeff has written marching percussion books for Row-Loff publications; Julie has written marching percussion books for Row-Loff publications; Jeff has been associated with DCI corps prior to becoming a DCI judge; Julie has been associated with DCI corps prior to becoming a DCI judge; ..... Oh, sorry, you are correct... Jeff is with the Hellcats and Julie is with CAIXA Trio,... and that makes their backgrounds so diverse that they bring vastly different mindsets to the DCI judging table.  which brings me to the next comment:

There's is no hive mindset. The judges are told to judge their sheet, and the show of the day. Until recently the drum folks were the only group i trusted to do that, but looking at the craziness on the recaps the last few years, you see that change on all of the sheets. The math doesn't lie Stu. Cry slotting, brainwashing or whatever you want...good is good and is rewarded.And as the last few championships...actually last 3...have had very narrow spreads, with no one corps dominating every sheet ( like a BD 2014), the judges are following the system put in place. I'll grant you drums and guard will still see the most variety from day to day, it's clear the slotting theories aren't real except in some people's hurt feelings thir favorite didnt do well enough

The reason that Jeff and Julie view the sheets, and the performances, in the same way is directly related to their extremely common backgrounds (see above) combined with that is the exact way DCI wants adjudication provided from their judges.  Put Carter Beauford in there to judge, who has no background similarity to Jeff and Julie whatsoever, and his scoring-ranking results would be way different.  And although his scoring-ranking would be valid based on his professional musical background, he would be deemed incompetent by most, including you, if his 'professional and authoritative' subjective opinion varied from that of the rest of the judges (who also have similar backgrounds to Jeff and Jule and not Beauford).  So because of that, slotting, not at a strict single position, but slotting in a very small ranking range is inevitable because cookie-cutter artistic views and evaluations is what DCI wants from their adjudicators; that does bring consistency, but it also brings slotting.

nothing personal....it's truth.

You called me an A**; that is personal. I do not mind the sarcastic humor, the sarcasm of say linking to an Ernest Save Christmas video clip to counter a point in which you disagree, but when you call someone an A**, that is "extremely personal". Oh, and thanks for the apology!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeD said:

F0TJXA9IRXTBHVA.MEDIUM.jpg

FMCL042IRXTBHSL.MEDIUM.jpg

Wow... who knew???  :8_laughing:

• Haha 2