Keep the Bb/F horns

2 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

cap the number of participants to 150

poop-can the amplification

ban vocals

reset the composition of the judging panels to 1981 standards because that’s the year the most fans showed up ever.

Good try though.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 11:58 AM, glory said:

The trend I most want to see changed is the one where judges don't differentiate when the bulk of the brass line only plays half and whole notes on the move. Any remotely challenging passages are stationary. Cavies and SCV were among those benefitting from this largesse last summer. Of course, the amplified brass choir was another multiplier for SCV. 

How do we level this playing field?

HH

By including what you want among the criteria on the sheets. 

In this case, clarification would be required that "simultaneous demand" does not mean one section of the corps running while another section plays hard stuff - but rather, the same people doing demanding visual work and playing demanding music simultaneously.

Bump. DCI's winter meetings are only 3 days away, which means we'll find out which proposals pass within the next week!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Bump. DCI's winter meetings are only 3 days away, which means we'll find out which proposals pass within the next week!

With even Florida expecting snow on Thursday and over 30 States enduring the deep freeze with icy roads and runways, this may be an interesting meeting to gather a quorum. The computer age of emails and skype has changed corps communication but I wonder if the lack of physical presence by some parties might be an influence on how certain proposals are discussed or tallied. DCI hasn't had to deal with this in awhile.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, Liahona said:

I'd like to argue that the very top corps are WAY underscored in the beginning of the season, and that their scores are artificial scores that are not even scored within reality: arbitrarily scored low just so it shows they made progress; the progression each season is very predictable every season by certain dates and/or major events within the season as well.

I suspect this too.

Give the June 22, 2017 Bluecoats, who scored a 72.30 in their season opening performance, a time machine and have them compete under an assumed name (no one would recognize them anyway) in the Aug. 11, 2016 championship prelims, and are they really going to be outscored by Spartans, who got a 73.125 that day?

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I suspect this too.

Give the June 22, 2017 Bluecoats, who scored a 72.30 in their season opening performance, a time machine and have them compete under an assumed name (no one would recognize them anyway) in the Aug. 11, 2016 championship prelims, and are they really going to be outscored by Spartans, who got a 73.125 that day?

I guess we just need to throw out the scores altogether and just look at the spreads between the scores...scores are meaningless in your example for sure...

• Like 1

On 12/19/2017 at 9:51 PM, MikeD said:

Being an amazingly talented musician in any genre does not translate automatically into being able to rank and rate DCI ensembles on whatever caption they are evaluating.

Not sure this doesn't prove Stu's point.

19 hours ago, xandandl said:

With even Florida expecting snow on Thursday and over 30 States enduring the deep freeze with icy roads and runways, this may be an interesting meeting to gather a quorum. The computer age of emails and skype has changed corps communication but I wonder if the lack of physical presence by some parties might be an influence on how certain proposals are discussed or tallied. DCI hasn't had to deal with this in awhile.

I saw people in the east typing statements about flying to Indy online, so I'm not expecting a massive amount of holes