2018 Rules proposals

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Basically any outdoor show that gets moved indoors due to inclement weather (i.e. rain).

I don't mean to be obtuse here.  Lot's of shows get rained out, but don't get moved indoors...so you are saying only shows that have a PLANNED contingency for their show should it rain would be included in this rule?

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I don't mean to be obtuse here.  Lot's of shows get rained out, but don't get moved indoors...so you are saying only shows that have a PLANNED contingency for their show should it rain would be included in this rule?

That sounds about right.

• Like 1

Drum Corps International voted at its annual meeting in Indianapolis on Friday to change how the performance order is determined for later season shows based current season scores rather than the previous year.

The change was spearheaded by Mandarins executive director Jim Tabuchi. 

"The impetus for this policy change is to recognize the corps’ performance level of excellence [relative to] the current year, rather than basing it on the previous year,” Tabuchi said.

The new twist is that once reverse scoring order is determined then corps will be grouped in draw groups of three. Then those corps will draw against each other for performance order.

SCORING Possible Performance Slot
1st - 3rd Draw for Last, 2nd to Last, 3rd to Last
4th - 6th 4th to last, 5th to last, 6th to last

Performance Order Breakdown

1. Based on the reverse order of finish at the prior year’s DCI World Championships, the performance order for each DCI Tour Event prior to the DCI Southwestern Championship will be drawn in groups of threes (first through third, fourth through sixth, etc.), with the host corps having the option of appearing last when applicable.

2. For the first major regional events of the season — typically near the beginning of July — corps will appear in reverse order of finish from the previous year’s World Championships.

3. The Southwestern Championship draw order will be based on the combined reverse order of scores from the first major 2018 regionals in Denver and St. Louis, then drawn in groups of threes. World Class corps not appearing at the first major regional(s) will be placed in the San Antonio order based on their most recent score.

4. For all weekday shows after the Southwestern Championship, the draw order will be based on reverse order of placement from the Southwestern Championship and will be drawn in groups of three.

5. For the DCI Southeastern Championship in Atlanta, the draw order will be based on the reverse order of placement from the Southwestern Championship, then drawn in groups of three.

6. The DCI Eastern Classic in Allentown, PA, draw order for each of the two days will be based on reverse order of placement from the Southeastern Championship, then drawn in groups of threes.

7. The World Championships Prelims draw order will start with Open Class corps determined by the reverse order of finish at the Open Class World Championship, followed by the World Class corps in reverse order of the average scores of the DCI Southwestern Championship, DCI Southeastern Championship, and the DCI Eastern Classic. In the event a corps does not appear at a specific major regional event, its last score received prior to that event will be utilized in the averaging.

Honestly I wish they just get RID of this groups of 3 BS....I think looking more toward the competitive season of the current season is a GOOD idea...I think!???!

POINT #4 is an interesting change...

Edited by Liahona

Is it limited to rain outs who move out doors or might it also apply to shows where the corps do encore-like concerts on the track because field conditions have withered to such an unusable state and the corps don't wish to unpack the equipment truck again due to whether electronic equipment would be effected?  From what was said in the limited video clip, we don't know either way certainly.

Post Script: Just re-read this note according to Flo's twitter:

The idea is to create a smoother and faster transition for everyone at the indoor venue but still provide great entertainment to the spectators.

But of course, that's Flo's interpretation. I'll wait for DCI official.

Edited by xandandl

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Another miscellaneous rule passed today: An official "Plan B" for rained-out shows.

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6071098-dcis-plan-b-for-rained-out-shows

I wonder if we'll see a corps carrying mallet instruments for their "Plan B" performance, old-school???   :8_laughing:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I wonder if we'll see a corps carrying mallet instruments for their "Plan B" performance, old-school???   :8_laughing:

do you mean that BD would revert to their vertical xylophones/glockenspiels which each player carried when they were a drum and "bell"" corps? For example...

Two bell lyres in use

Edited by xandandl

If you can't carry it, you can't play it," Dan said in summary.

21616128_1682526358487963_69464394654900

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Another miscellaneous rule passed today: An official "Plan B" for rained-out shows.

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6071098-dcis-plan-b-for-rained-out-shows

"If you can't carry it, you can't play it" should be the rule for outdoor performances as well.

The final vote on the rules proposals that have not been withdrawn in the caucus will take place tomorrow at 5:30pm ET, according to DCI's most recent YouTube video.