2018 Rules proposals

“This eliminates the ability, more or less, for someone to spread big or someone to make no decisions. All decisions are equal. Now, if someone wants to put someone in fifth in brass … OK … that is a substantial decision and that decision will weigh into the total.”

ALL OF THESE WORDS ARE ENGLISH

I SPEAK ENGLISH

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS

Edited by Lance
  • Haha 1

I think at this point, whatever happens happens. Tomorrow, DCI itself could be changed forever and it could affect us all. At the same time, it could stay the same and it wouldn’t affect us at all. Regardless of your opinions on the proposals, it’s best to just accept the possibility of change.

5 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

I think at this point, whatever happens happens. Tomorrow, DCI itself could be changed forever and it could affect us all. At the same time, it could stay the same and it wouldn’t affect us at all. Regardless of your opinions on the proposals, it’s best to just accept the possibility of change.

Could you be specific about which change(s) you think could significantly change DCI forever?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

[link to DCI video about sound reinforcement]

Jim Coates from that video: "We also have to let our audience decide what's good or not."

Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?

What is Radio City Music Hall?

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Could you be specific about which change(s) you think could significantly change DCI forever?

I think the biggest ones that would change dci forever are 15 corps at finals, ordinals, and no scoring before July 1st. In my opinion, 15 corps at finals can’t be undone. It’s one of those things where once it happens it’s almost impossible to go back to the way that it was before. If they even mention going back to only 12 corps in finals, the entire drum corps community would blow up. They would think that it’s not fair to the corps who made finals in spots 13 - 15 the previous year. For ordinal scoring only, that is another can’t come back from situation. If ordinals scoring goes into effect, then we drum corps fans will never hear scores of 99.65 ever again. It will be hidden from us. And if they try to make any changes from that, there will be debates about how dci is judging in general. For example, if they decide to allow people to see the scores later in future but still do placements by ordinal rankings, then there will be massive debate about how the judging isn’t fair amongst drum corps fans. Lastly, for the no scores before July 1st, that one can lead to some serious damage towards the corps. People in the stands go to drum corps shows to watch the competition. There are a lot shows before July 1st and if the proposal passes, then all those shows before July 1st become exhibition shows. While that isn’t bad, it can damage the corps because people want to see competition. People aren’t going to want to pay money to see the same show in exhibition for a week. As a result, those early shows will lose income and the corps would suffer because they wouldn’t be making money off the people who normally come to those shows. Again these are just my opinions.

Edited by Dchristian125
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dchristian125 said:

I think the biggest ones that would change dci forever are 15 corps at finals, ordinals, and no scoring before July 1st. In my opinion, 15 corps at finals can’t be undone. It’s one of those things where once it happens it almost impossible to go back to the way that it was before. If they even mention going back to only 12 corps in finals, the entire drum corps community would blow up. They would think that it’s not fair to the corps who made finals in spots 13 - 15 the previous year. For ordinal scoring only, that is another can’t come back from situation. If ordinals scoring goes into effect, then we drum corps fans will never hear scores of 99.65 ever again. It will be hidden from us. And if they try to make any changes from that, there will be debates about how dci is judging in general. For example, if they decide to allow people to see the score later in future but still do placements by ordinal rankings, then there will be massive debate about how the judging isn’t fair amongst drum corps fans. Lastly, for the no scores before July 1st, that one can lead to some serious damage towards the corps. People in the stand go to drum corps shows to watch the competition. There are a lot shows before July 1st and if the proposal passes, then all those shows before July 1st become exhibition shows. While that isn’t bad, it can damage the corps because people want to see competition. People aren’t going to want to pay money to see the same show in exhibition for a week. As a result, those early shows will lose income and the corps would suffer because they would be making money off the people who normally come to those shows. Again these are just my opinions.

Those happen to be the 3 proposals I don't want to see pass, and you just explained my sentiments perfectly.

To be fair, though, I'd be open to expanding Finals to 15 if the Prelims lineup gets to the point where we have, say, 50+ corps going (and perhaps an extension of Semis as well). And at the rate this activity is expanding, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened a decade or so from now. But IMO, now isn't the right time.

• Like 1