2018 Rules proposals

5 minutes ago, F15_22 said:

What happens next in the process? When do directors vote and do they typically concur with the instructors, or do we expect any changes?

They’re voting now. Passing the Caucus doesn’t guarantee full passage

• Like 1

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Norm!

(Oh dear. Realizing I'm probably Cliff.)

No, no, no... I was thinking of this guy...

4328tortellis.jpg

I've seen you at shows...this is definitely you when a corps' on the field.  Or even a band, for goodness sake.  Oh, and you always get the blonde theater babe, of course...

latest?cb=20120823035515

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 1

I understand the reasoning behind 15 in finals and I sure wouldn’t mind seeing the shows that usually place in that range again......but it certainly mitigates the exclusivity and achievement of placing in the top 12 to me.  I feel like the increasing difficulty of making the top 12 pushed corps right on the cusp of that to the high levels we have seen as of late from that grouping.  Though perhaps this means that will spread down to 16th to 18th and those corps as well will begin to really excel and grow since what was probably not attainable for another few seasons could be within their grasp now.   

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

There are very few subjects on which current corps members like myself agree with DCP. However, full-field amplification is one of them. There is not a single brass player in the activity who wants to have the whole ensemble amplified, and the only people who could conceivably support SCV's mini-hornline are the people who were actually in it- and even then, I can't imagine they would have put that in the show had they been in charge of designing it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

There are very few subjects on which current corps members like myself agree with DCP. However, full-field amplification is one of them. There is not a single brass player in the activity who wants to have the whole ensemble amplified, and the only people who could conceivably support SCV's mini-hornline are the people who were actually in it- and even then, I can't imagine they would have put that in the show had they been in charge of designing it.

Well said.  Thanks - good to hear from an actual current corps member.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

You, sir, should consider starting some sort of petition to ban full-field amplification to send to the DCI offices. Have only current members (those who marched in 2017 and/or will march in 2018) sign it. It's the only way out now.

(Then again, don't listen to me at all, but one can dream)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I understand the reasoning behind 15 in finals and I sure wouldn’t mind seeing the shows that usually place in that range again......but it certainly mitigates the exclusivity and achievement of placing in the top 12 to me.  I feel like the increasing difficulty of making the top 12 pushed corps right on the cusp of that to the high levels we have seen as of late from that grouping.  Though perhaps this means that will spread down to 16th to 18th and those corps as well will begin to really excel and grow since what was probably not attainable for another few seasons could be within their grasp now.   

I agree..not a fan for 15 at finals..dilutes the exclusiveness...I've never been a fan of the philosophy of everyone getting a participation trophy...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regarding brass amplification: I’m just a run of the mill longtime fan (and parent of a current member). Personally, one of the things I’ve always enjoyed about this activity is the creative spirit and desire to take risks to try new things.

As a leader, I think allowing a team to take risk and try things is healthy and enables growth. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s usually self critiquing. I’ve enjoyed some of the tech/amplification experiments and not some of the others but I still applaud their initiative.

I’m probably in the minority, but I’m generally in favor of maximizing their freedom. It doesn’t hurt my feelings if you disagree, I just wanted to make a counter point in support of what the cavaliers caption head was saying. 

Edited by F15_22
  • Thanks 1

Live feed says that the 15 in Finals proposal was shot down by the directors.

WHEW.

Source: 

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

I’m ok with two MA guys and the Percussion ensemble guy gone. Why?

the upstairs Percussion guy waa basically a second MA judge anyways

• Like 2