2018 Rules proposals

35 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:

So is the percussion judge permanently gone forever from all competitions

Only the Ensemble Percussion judge is gone. Percussion will now be exclusively judged from the field, hopefully using the revised judge location rules from within the proposal details.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Thanks 1

So, to summarize the fates of the proposals discussed at the beginning of the thread...

Proposal #1 (increase maximum membership to 154) - APPROVED and likely will go into effect this season.

Proposal #2 (15 corps in Finals) - Approved at the Instructors' Caucus, but ultimately DENIED by the directors in the final vote.

Proposal #3 (No scores before July 1) - Likely withdrawn before the voting process began.

Proposal #4 (No scores - ordinals only) - DENIED at the Instructors' Caucus.

Proposal #5 (Annual Rules Congress) - APPROVED at the Instructors' Caucus; likely will go into effect at the 2019 meetings with only the RSTF being involved as it is an odd-numbered year.

Proposal #6 (Brass amplification limitations) - DENIED at the Instructors' Caucus despite being a focal topic throughout the weekend.

Proposal #7 (Second brass judge) - Likely withdrawn before the voting process began.

Proposal #8 (Replace Ensemble Percussion with second MA judge) - APPROVED and will go into effect this season without a trial run.

Proposal #9 (Update Music Analysis sheets) - APPROVED at the Instructors' Caucus.

Other proposals that were discussed:

Replace shows that currently receive 5-judge (partial) panels with 8-judge (standard) panels - APPROVED, but will go into effect in 2019.

Increase maximum membership to 160 - DENIED at the final vote.

Change the way scores are announced during Championships week (BOA Grand Nationals style?) - DENIED at the final vote.

Withhold show recaps until 1 week after the competition - DENIED at the final vote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dchristian125 said:

So is the percussion judges permanently gone forever from all competitions

No

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the upstairs Percussion guy waa basically a second MA judge anyways

Glad this was shot down.  I'll never have the knowledge of the mover and shakers, and the skill set of judges, but to judge percussion from way far away does a disservice to all corps whether their drum lines are good or some what weaker.  

At least BRASSO will be happy about full panels even it doesn't start until 19.  

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

So, to summarize the fates of the proposals discussed at the beginning of the thread...

Proposal #1 (increase maximum membership to 154) - APPROVED and likely will go into effect this season.

Proposal #2 (15 corps in Finals) - Approved at the Instructors' Caucus, but ultimately DENIED by the directors in the final vote.

Proposal #3 (No scores before July 1) - Likely withdrawn before the voting process began.

Proposal #4 (No scores - ordinals only) - DENIED at the Instructors' Caucus.

Proposal #5 (Annual Rules Congress) - APPROVED at the Instructors' Caucus; likely will go into effect at the 2019 meetings with only the RSTF being involved as it is an odd-numbered year.

Proposal #6 (Brass amplification limitations) - DENIED at the Instructors' Caucus despite being a focal topic throughout the weekend.

Proposal #7 (Second brass judge) - Likely withdrawn before the voting process began.

Proposal #8 (Replace Ensemble Percussion with second MA judge) - APPROVED and will go into effect this season without a trial run.

Proposal #9 (Update Music Analysis sheets) - APPROVED at the Instructors' Caucus.

Other proposals that were discussed:

Replace shows that currently receive 5-judge (partial) panels with 8-judge (standard) panels - APPROVED, but will go into effect in 2019.

Increase maximum membership to 160 - DENIED at the final vote.

Change the way scores are announced during Championships week (BOA Grand Nationals style?) - DENIED at the final vote.

Withhold show recaps until 1 week after the competition - DENIED at the final vote.

I’m good with most of this.  

• Like 2

Here's something that I'm sure will anger fans of the brass amplification limitation proposal: Out of the 25 instructors and designers that voted at the Instructors' Caucus, THREE (3) approved that proposal. I think this really goes to show just how much instructors and designers really care about the fans.

Source: https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results

8 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's something that I'm sure will anger fans of the brass amplification limitation proposal: Out of the 25 instructors and designers that voted at the Instructors' Caucus, THREE (3) approved that proposal. I think this really goes to show just how much instructors and designers really care about the fans.

Source: https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results

I’m hoping that they police themselves but when I said that to Jim, he started laughing.  I won’t say what he said after that. 

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m hoping that they police themselves but when I said that to Jim, he started laughing.  I won’t say what he said after that. 

I like Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

At least BRASSO will be happy about full panels even it doesn't start until 19.  

Yup. I got my " crusade"  proposal passed by the DCI Corps Directors today ( to be implemented for 2019 ).

• Like 1