2018 Rules proposals

Even more details on all the proposals discussed can be found in this video from FloMarching:

https://www.flomarching.com/video/6075048-dci-wintering-meetings-voting-results

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Even more details on all the proposals discussed can be found in this video from FloMarching:

https://www.flomarching.com/video/6075048-dci-wintering-meetings-voting-results

This was quite informative. It gave fans a look at the WHY decisions were made as they were. Kudos to FloMarching for putting this together re. the off season DCI Meetings. Fans may or may not agree with these decisions that were made this off season, but its hard to criticize the fuller transparancy that DCI has provided as to an EXPLANATION as to the thought process that went into the decisions to approve, reject, or table proposals . This was a wise decision to have this made available to the public, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I agree as well. Once it was voted favorably out of committee and presented to the Corps Directors to vote on, it was agreed to keep Finals as TOP 12, which as been DCI's format since its inception in '72.

Thank God.  We don’t need to turn this into “everyone gets a trophy”.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's something that I'm sure will anger fans of the brass amplification limitation proposal: Out of the 25 instructors and designers that voted at the Instructors' Caucus, THREE (3) approved that proposal. I think this really goes to show just how much instructors and designers really care about the fans.

Source: https://www.dci.org/news/2018-dci-rules-proposal-voting-results

Perhaps there should be a "Paying Fans in the Stands Caucus" to advise the Corps Directors as well. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps there should be a "Paying Fans in the Stands Caucus" to advise the Corps Directors as well. 

They know how people feel. For all of the shots taken at this place, it’s read far more than they will ever admit

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

So, to summarize the fates of the proposals discussed at the beginning of the thread...

Proposal #1 (increase maximum membership to 154) - APPROVED and likely will go into effect this season.

Proposal #2 (15 corps in Finals) - Approved at the Instructors' Caucus, but ultimately DENIED by the directors in the final vote.

Proposal #3 (No scores before July 1) - Likely withdrawn before the voting process began.

Proposal #4 (No scores - ordinals only) - DENIED at the Instructors' Caucus.

Proposal #5 (Annual Rules Congress) - APPROVED at the Instructors' Caucus; likely will go into effect at the 2019 meetings with only the RSTF being involved as it is an odd-numbered year.

Proposal #6 (Brass amplification limitations) - DENIED at the Instructors' Caucus despite being a focal topic throughout the weekend.

Proposal #7 (Second brass judge) - Likely withdrawn before the voting process began.

Proposal #8 (Replace Ensemble Percussion with second MA judge) - APPROVED and will go into effect this season without a trial run.

Proposal #9 (Update Music Analysis sheets) - APPROVED at the Instructors' Caucus.

Other proposals that were discussed:

Replace shows that currently receive 5-judge (partial) panels with 8-judge (standard) panels - APPROVED, but will go into effect in 2019.

Increase maximum membership to 160 - DENIED at the final vote.

Change the way scores are announced during Championships week (BOA Grand Nationals style?) - DENIED at the final vote.

Withhold show recaps until 1 week after the competition - DENIED at the final vote.

Thank you for the summary!!!!  One-stop shopping.  LOL.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Is it bad that I always expect someone to say that this is the end of DCI after rule proposals?

Always expect it. Has happened every other year since I started following the activity, and this year is no exception.

On 1/6/2018 at 6:04 PM, Jeff Ream said:

While no rule is in place I think some better choices will be made by the corps. They know the paying public has concerns, and it’ll be thought of as shows get fleshed out. I think the judging community might feel emboldened to send messages 

I hope so.

I'm all for electronics... but the "miked brass sections" thing last season was unsettling to me. It just didn't sound right... too artificial, for lack of a better term... and the can of worms of miking every brass player is one I would prefer not be opened.

The players today are so well-trained... let them play.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1