2018 Rules proposals

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Is it bad that I always expect someone to say that this is the end of DCI after rule proposals?

End of DCI? Hardly. For all its foibles, DCI is a vibrant organization. It'll take a lot to kill it outright. 

However, depending on how the amplification of brass is handled, it may be the death of DCI that I and many others enjoy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hope so.

I'm all for electronics... but the "miked brass sections" thing last season was unsettling to me. It just didn't sound right... too artificial, for lack of a better term... and the can of worms of miking every brass player is one I would prefer not be opened.

The players today are so well-trained... let them play.

I didn't mind it when the Bluecoats played to the back left corner and the sound was coming from the speakers up front, because we could all tell what was going on: it was a deliberate effect--just like when they did the pitch bend in "Tilt", they emphasized the effect by holding their horns away from their faces. I did object to what I heard other corps doing last summer, which either sounded bad, or seemed like a sneaky way to get additional volume without working for it, or both--and had the further effect of making me suspicious of all corps, which isn't a good way to feel.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I agree as well. Once it was voted favorably out of committee and presented to the Corps Directors to vote on, it was agreed to keep Finals as TOP 12, which as been DCI's format since its inception in '72.

Well, I was sort of looking forward to retroactively congratulating Mandarins on having made Finals for the first time last year.

Major props to Michael Gilley of FloMarching for his work in communicating what has gone on behind the scenes this weekend. Here’s his article on the amplification/electronics meeting:

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6075144-hot-topic-dci-electronics-sound-reinforcement-and-sound-coverage

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I was sort of looking forward to retroactively congratulating Mandarins on having made Finals for the first time last year.

I hear you, but if we a " retroactively congratulate " all the Corps that made the top 15 for "the first time", we'd have to " retroactively congratulate " over  2 dozen Corps... lol!

I heard that the Mandarins Corps Director voted against moving the Finals to " TOP 15 ", and keeping it at " TOP 12 ".  and his rationale made perfect sense to me. He wants his Corps ( and other Corps ) that have not quite made it before, ( or have not made it recently ) but might  be on the cusp, to strive for that..... so that when they do make it, its not diluted, but will mean something incredibly special similar to how it has been for so many Corps since DCI began in 1972.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hope so.

I'm all for electronics... but the "miked brass sections" thing last season was unsettling to me. It just didn't sound right... too artificial, for lack of a better term... and the can of worms of miking every brass player is one I would prefer not be opened.

The players today are so well-trained... let them play.

I don’t think it’ll disappear but I expect focus on better quality. After talking to a few people that were in the room, there were very open admissions that things need to be better.

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Major props to Michael Gilley of FloMarching for his work in communicating what has gone on behind the scenes this weekend. Here’s his article on the amplification/electronics meeting:

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6075144-hot-topic-dci-electronics-sound-reinforcement-and-sound-coverage

The Flo guys and Dan Potter did a great job

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I appreciate the article from Gilley, and explanation from Beck. Does any of this matter in terms of scoring, however? Or are we all dependent just on good intentions?