2018 Rules proposals

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I didn't mind it when the Bluecoats played to the back left corner and the sound was coming from the speakers up front, because we could all tell what was going on: it was a deliberate effect--just like when they did the pitch bend in "Tilt"...

You liked that? Have to say it was among the biggest head scratches of the summer for me. Audio and visual just disconnected, so far as I was concerned (versus pitch blend where audio/visual blended). 

Wasn't just Bluecoats. Several corps were guilty in my court of not syncing sound and sight. 

HH

Edited by glory

27 minutes ago, glory said:

You liked that? Have to say it was among the biggest head scratches of the summer for me. Audio and visual just disconnected, so far as I was concerned (versus pitch blend where audio/visual blended). 

Wasn't just Bluecoats. Several corps were guilty in my court of not syncing sound and sight. 

HH

apparently the effect judges disagreed

1 hour ago, glory said:

HH

58 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Don't really care about the effect judges, I'm 100% with HH.  The visual/audio "disconnect" (great word) was actually disconcerting, like vertigo or getting light-headed when you stand up too quickly.  For those of use "programmed" to connect visual and audio in show production... 

And really, if there's a focal point that would excite the imagination of the tin-foil hat crowd, it's the "relationship" between the effect judges and the program designers, it seems to me.

Edited by garfield

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm not so sure, my understanding is that's is why they changed it and turned around for the resolve 

anyway

about amping the entire hornline, The marchers hate it, the audience hates but by god the designers know what’s best for us all as they’ve proven with some of their not-so awesome shows over the years

Poor Sara Jones is rolling over in her grave

The hubris of the staff, get out of your bubble, no wonder you went into music ed because you could never pay the bills insulting the audience like this and if you don’t have amps figured out after almost 15 year, then when the heck will you figure them out???

no amps for you, losers

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Major props to Michael Gilley of FloMarching for his work in communicating what has gone on behind the scenes this weekend. Here’s his article on the amplification/electronics meeting:

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6075144-hot-topic-dci-electronics-sound-reinforcement-and-sound-coverage

I keep asking myself where did FloMarching come from all of a sudden?  Is Flo the de facto replacement for Tom Blair production?  

Maybe a different thread is warranted, but it's probably just that I missed the initial explanation of the genesis of Flo's increasing involvement.

8 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I'm not so sure, my understanding is that's is why they changed it and turned around for the resolve 

anyway

about amping the entire hornline, The marchers hate it, the audience hates but by god the designers know what’s best for us all as they’ve proven with some of their not-so awesome shows over the years

Poor Sara Jones is rolling over in her grave

The hubris of the staff, get out of your bubble, no wonder you went into music ed because you could never pay the bills insulting the audience like this and if you don’t have amps figured out after almost 15 year, then when the heck will you figure them out???

no amps for you, losers

Wow, and someone here called ME angry!  Tell us how you really feel!  Ha!

I thought of Sara today when I was pondering the impact of mics and amps.  Funny.

I'm not so sure it's hubris (although I've heard "Institutional Arrogance" used more than once), but it's clear that, whoever is leading the industry efforts to fix A&E, has failed miserably.  It doesn't appear that A&E, at its core competency, has been proved or effectively implemented.  Allowing mics on every instrument is not going to clean the goo that's absolutely still in the live arena, even if they can mix it out over the Live broadcast.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Just now, garfield said:

I keep asking myself where did FloMarching come from all of a sudden?  Is Flo the de facto replacement for Tom Blair production?  

Maybe a different thread is warranted, but it's probably just that I missed the initial explanation of the genesis of Flo's increasing involvement.

This is the first year in which a FloMarching representative has attended the DCI Winter Meetings. The combination of FloMarching's and DCI's breaking news coverage across all social media platforms has made for perhaps the most detailed coverage of the meetings ever.

1 hour ago, glory said:

I did, again, because it seemed like an intentional effect to me.  A bit like that moment in Blue Devils' "Constantly Risking Absurdity" where the guard sets up for a big rifle toss and then deliberately drops their equipment.

And in general, I've opposed most so-called evolutions in recent drum corps history, but inevitably, after a few years, a handful of exceptions proves that I was wrong to be so broadly contrarian. Turns out I'm more like Jeff in that I find it's bad execution that matters more than the lousy principles.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Major props to Michael Gilley of FloMarching for his work in communicating what has gone on behind the scenes this weekend. Here’s his article on the amplification/electronics meeting:

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6075144-hot-topic-dci-electronics-sound-reinforcement-and-sound-coverage

“The best designed sound show is one that the audience does not notice,” he [Aaron Beck (professional sound guy also w/ Bluecoats) ] said.

• Like 1