2018 Rules proposals

So about the removal of the 5-judge panel proposal: That was originally the "no scores before July 1" proposal, but ended up getting changed to discussion about the early-season 5-judge panels. Here's another video from FloMarching in which they discuss this rule change beginning about 8 minutes in - it's mentioned toward the end of the segment that for the 2018 season only, at 5-judge panel shows, there will be a third Analysis judge in the box (can be either Music or Visual), as opposed to the trade-off between Brass, Percussion, VP, and Guard of previous years.

https://www.flomarching.com/video/6075834-the-drill-down-erik-kosman-electronics-landscape-rules-changes

• Like 1

Oh joy they really aren't going to post scores till July 1? Then everyone will just have fun posting their own - on social media. I mean since I have been following this since the 70's there is a regular projection tic system  or today's system and it is so predictable it will be fun to watch social media and how close the fans are based on past seasons. 

I really hope there is someone that comes out of the gate below the usual suspects that just gets some fun going. It is so rare. 

2 hours ago, TripleForteGuy said:

Oh joy they really aren't going to post scores till July 1? Then everyone will just have fun posting their own - on social media. I mean since I have been following this since the 70's there is a regular projection tic system  or today's system and it is so predictable it will be fun to watch social media and how close the fans are based on past seasons. 

I really hope there is someone that comes out of the gate below the usual suspects that just gets some fun going. It is so rare. 

Where did you hear this passed?  I think that was only a proposal...

2 hours ago, TripleForteGuy said:

Just now, Liahona said:

Where did you hear this passed?  I think that was only a proposal...

See my previous post above.

• Like 1

Interesting comments from GH on Cadets FB vid about rules congress and extended discussion. Preferred electronics equip./professionals/tweeking slated to be a  $50K to $100K outlay for each individual corps to do it right in stadium arenas the size of Lucas and other domes plus mega-huge college stadia. His explanation is interesting, especially from the one who first proprosed electronics several Rules Congresses ago.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Interesting comments from GH on Cadets FB vid about rules congress and extended discussion. Preferred electronics equip./professionals/tweeking slated to be a  $50K to $100K outlay for each individual corps to do it right in stadium arenas the size of Lucas and other domes plus mega-huge college stadia. His explanation is interesting, especially from the one who first proprosed electronics several Rules Congresses ago.

You raise a very good point. Seems as though Mr. Hopkins does not always think things through!

47 minutes ago, xandandl said:

It would probably cost less to buy an entire set of G bugles every year :guinesssmilie:

Seriously though, that's extremely expensive. Maybe corps should go back to tweaking sound acoustically. Need more bottom end? Add more tubas. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best. 

2 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

It would probably cost less to buy an entire set of G bugles every year :guinesssmilie:

Seriously though, that's extremely expensive. Maybe corps should go back to tweaking sound acoustically. Need more bottom end? Add more tubas. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best. 

so what about the non big stadiums?

3 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

They're not going to spend that much every year. It'll be the same process as it is with drums/horns. They'll make the initial large investment once, then sell the gear every few years or so for either the same price they got it for, or a little bit less. The good news about buying more pro-audio gear is there is a much larger re-sell market than just selling stuff to marching bands

• Like 1