2018 Rules proposals

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so what about the non big stadiums?

What about them? Did G lines never play smaller stadiums? I thought drum corps fans loved sitting close to powerful G lines. The instructors could always tell the players to dial it back a bit for certain shows; the hornlines are certainly capable of that, as they do that sort of thing in rehearsals/warm-ups all the time.

45 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

What about them? Did G lines never play smaller stadiums? I thought drum corps fans loved sitting close to powerful G lines. The instructors could always tell the players to dial it back a bit for certain shows; the hornlines are certainly capable of that, as they do that sort of thing in rehearsals/warm-ups all the time.

well, I have never been to a show where the electronics were dialed back.  Pretty sure the electronics only have 2 volumes: super loud and painfully overpowering

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

well, I have never been to a show where the electronics were dialed back.  Pretty sure the electronics only have 2 volumes: super loud and painfully overpowering

Phantom Regiment had their hornline dialed back all of last season. 

Seriously though, it's probably harder to dial back the volume of electronics than it is to tell the performers to do a run at 80% volume. Electronics can be finicky, as has been proven time and again. If you go messing with something, there's a chance it might just stop working altogether. 

6 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

i wasn't talking aboutG bugles in big stadiums. I'm a huge fan of G bugles, but that ship has sailed almost 20 years ago....it's time to let go, accept what is, or move on.......time aint turning back

Edited by Jeff Ream

12 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

Seriously though, it's probably harder to dial back the volume of electronics than it is to tell the performers to do a run at 80% volume. Electronics can be finicky, as has been proven time and again. If you go messing with something, there's a chance it might just stop working altogether. 

I guess you have not seen one of these automated mixing boards in action.  Select the desired preset, and 32 channel faders move in response.  Some corps use this feature to tweak the levels a hundred times over the course of one performance.

Dialing back the electronics is not hard.  Persuading the sound board operator is the hard part.  It is not in their nature to dial themselves back.  

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Dialing back the electronics is not hard.  Persuading the sound board operator is the hard part.  It is not in their nature to dial themselves back.  

Should DCI be requiring a hearing test before allowing any sound board operator to function in DCI, similar to the concerns the percussion folks have with the ear plugs, etc. due to the constant pounding and effects on the ear drums?  (Not said totally in jest.)

On 1/8/2018 at 5:14 PM, garfield said:

Wow, and someone here called ME angry!  Tell us how you really feel!  Ha!

I thought of Sara today when I was pondering the impact of mics and amps.  Funny.

I'm not so sure it's hubris (although I've heard "Institutional Arrogance" used more than once), but it's clear that, whoever is leading the industry efforts to fix A&E, has failed miserably.  It doesn't appear that A&E, at its core competency, has been proved or effectively implemented.  Allowing mics on every instrument is not going to clean the goo that's absolutely still in the live arena, even if they can mix it out over the Live broadcast.

I had watched that Flo marching thing with Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer that once again made the empty promise of ‘we’ll do better’ so of course I was annoyed. When? I’ve been hearing ‘we’ll do better’ with electronic since 2005. How will you do better, how will all corps do better? How will it be enforced? If they don’t do better what the other side?

It was such a one sided sales job that was based upon lies upon excuses upon arrogant, patronizing posturing and the mea culpa did nothing to assuage my utter disappointment with ‘the production’ they offered by way of poorly utilized and implemented electronics.

DCI is incapable of enforcing their own rules or standards so we get these ‘hack’ designers corrupting the entire activity so they can get a paycheck and be relevant in their drum corps Hamlet syndrome.

Amplified brass will never sound as good as ‘live’ brass. I go to shows for live brass, it appears my only options will be watching scales in the lot.  Effected brass often sounds nasty in Drum Corps because they don’t know how to play it or pull it off. Screw them, I had to buy earplugs for finals last year in order to avoid the 3-days of ringing ears thanks to the crappy sound production of Bluecoats at previous finals.

I know enough about electronic production to  see through the crap they pump out but apparently not enough to how hos some of these samples could possibly be legal. BTW, what’s DCI doing on that front, how do they check samples…what, they don’t? Shock!  DCI has failed to enforce any standard of electronic in scores or by the rules. That fact alone is enough to reel it in. Again, what’s the other side of we’ll do better, what’s the ‘or else’? Nothing. It’s going on 15 years of broken promises, only a complete fool would trust them and how can Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer even speak for all of them? How is Spirit, Crossmen or Pioneer going to make good on his promise?

This sound reinforcement scam that sells it as horn lines can play with more nuance undermines the entire visual staging trend. Another design short cut another visual cheat. But really, it’s more of the DCI Loudness war, a la Oasis which, the recording community is finally recovering from. Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer answers don’t hold up,  his solution is buying more amps. Great, more weapons in the sound war will keep us all safe. We’ll get better with more amps. How many speakers did Bluecoats have on the field last year, was it 26 or 36, I forget. More, more, more amps, more designer influence all at the expense of the marching membership input and dare say, eduction

My objection to amps has nothing to do with them not being utilized when I marched; it has everything to do with how poorly they have been used and by the idiom. I like live brass.  To dismiss my views on electronics as a product of my age is so disingenuous, insulting, bigoted and just wrong. But that’s the level dude is working on and yet, he’s in charge of the future of DCI? Good hands there folks.

And now my turn to do what I despise

Won’t anyone think of the children who have roundly rejected it along with the audience?

And now, should we discuss all the poor design choices Bluecoats and other have made with regards to electronics?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I had watched that Flo marching thing with Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer that once again made the empty promise of ‘we’ll do better’ so of course I was annoyed. When? I’ve been hearing ‘we’ll do better’ with electronic since 2005. How will you do better, how will all corps do better? How will it be enforced? If they don’t do better what the other side?

It was such a one sided sales job that was based upon lies upon excuses upon arrogant, patronizing posturing and the mea culpa did nothing to assuage my utter disappointment with ‘the production’ they offered by way of poorly utilized and implemented electronics.

DCI is incapable of enforcing their own rules or standards so we get these ‘hack’ designers corrupting the entire activity so they can get a paycheck and be relevant in their drum corps Hamlet syndrome.

Amplified brass will never sound as good as ‘live’ brass. I go to shows for live brass, it appears my only options will be watching scales in the lot.  Effected brass often sounds nasty in Drum Corps because they don’t know how to play it or pull it off. Screw them, I had to buy earplugs for finals last year in order to avoid the 3-days of ringing ears thanks to the crappy sound production of Bluecoats at previous finals.

I know enough about electronic production to  see through the crap they pump out but apparently not enough to how hos some of these samples could possibly be legal. BTW, what’s DCI doing on that front, how do they check samples…what, they don’t? Shock!  DCI has failed to enforce any standard of electronic in scores or by the rules. That fact alone is enough to reel it in. Again, what’s the other side of we’ll do better, what’s the ‘or else’? Nothing. It’s going on 15 years of broken promises, only a complete fool would trust them and how can Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer even speak for all of them? How is Spirit, Crossmen or Pioneer going to make good on his promise?

This sound reinforcement scam that sells it as horn lines can play with more nuance undermines the entire visual staging trend. Another design short cut another visual cheat. But really, it’s more of the DCI Loudness war, a la Oasis which, the recording community is finally recovering from. Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer answers don’t hold up,  his solution is buying more amps. Great, more weapons in the sound war will keep us all safe. We’ll get better with more amps. How many speakers did Bluecoats have on the field last year, was it 26 or 36, I forget. More, more, more amps, more designer influence all at the expense of the marching membership input and dare say, eduction

My objection to amps has nothing to do with them not being utilized when I marched; it has everything to do with how poorly they have been used and by the idiom. I like live brass.  To dismiss my views on electronics as a product of my age is so disingenuous, insulting, bigoted and just wrong. But that’s the level dude is working on and yet, he’s in charge of the future of DCI? Good hands there folks.

And now my turn to do what I despise

Won’t anyone think of the children who have roundly rejected it along with the audience?

And now, should we discuss all the poor design choices Bluecoats and other have made with regards to electronics?

what samples do you claim are not legal?

23 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Nah. I think you made your point by the fourth usage of "Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer." We can probably guess where you stand with a little bit of confidence.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, mingusmonk said:

Nah. I think you made your point on the fourth usage of "Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer." We can probably guess where you stand with a little bit of confidence.

i dont know, his position seemed vague

:bluedevil:

• Haha 1