2018 Rules proposals

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Get off my lawn crowd. Funny. I could and can never quite understand - what happens when a  corps is still run by a "get off my lawn" dino?  I guess it slowly drops in placement and relevance year after painful year. 

it depends on the directors involvement on the creative side. of the 2 i can think of, 1 fits yours to a T. The other hasn't placed above 20th since there were 20 true World Class corps, and hasn't made the Friday show for a few years now

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Get off my lawn crowd. Funny. I could and can never quite understand - what happens when a  corps is still run by a "get off my lawn" dino?  I guess it slowly drops in placement and relevance year after painful year. 

There are still plenty of “get off my lawn” people in Indy every year.  I would guess the entire row I’m in is over 50 years old.  The CEO of DCI is my age.  

Edited by Terri Schehr

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There are still plenty of “get off my lawn” people in Indy every year.  I would guess the entire row I’m in is over 50 years old.  The CEO of DCI is my age.  

get off my lawn isn't an age thing. it's a mindset

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

The must want to participate, whatever their thoughts are specifically on electronics. Even trying out with no intention to actually march, just for the experience, is showing a desire to participate at some level. And....corps use electronics, so they must desire to participate. No value judgements here. Just stating facts.

You can keep juxtaposing the words "electronics" and "desire" as many times as you want.  But claiming to know what is in the mind of everyone who visits a single camp or audition is generalizing/extrapolating.  Just stating facts.

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You can keep juxtaposing the words "electronics" and "desire" as many times as you want.  But claiming to know what is in the mind of everyone who visits a single camp or audition is generalizing/extrapolating.  Just stating facts.

Drum corps uses electronics. Period. People desire to try out for drum corps and do so. Period. Therefore, people try out for an activity that uses electronics. Period. Just facts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

ok so let me ask a simple question....if you disliked something enough, would you pay $4000-5000 to do it?

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, F15_22 said:

Haha ... people keep speaking in generalities and using terms like “all fans” or “the audience.” Please speak for yourself.

From my seat at finals (100 series seats) I saw thousands of fans on their feet cheering all night. Fans of all ages. There also seems to be no shortage of “children” trying out for these corps. The young men and women I know in the activity enjoy being part of organizations that regularly push creative limits and explore new technology ... and they don’t prefer to be referred to as children. 

I enjoyed the Flo video and thought they did a great job articulating their position. 

Perhaps your issue with my use of children within the context of my post is fair warning of an approaching  brick wall but I love a good rant so why not?

I was in the 100 section at finals so you saw me standing and cheering too. Even for corps that did a horrible job amplifying the entire horn line and so?

Uh-oh.

Your dismissing and then employing an ad populum, as noted is interesting…are you a DCI Sound Designer?

The rule change that allowed amplification of everything on the field only came into being last year and it wasn’t noticed by most the audience until after the season started and many of the tickets were bought.  Several Marching Members have stated that they were not aware of it until spring training or even later when their corps introduced the extra microphone on the sidelines later in the season. So I have serious doubts that this one specific rule change last year affected any attendance numbers in the stands or the corps. But even next year, the year after, I doubt this one rule change will have much of an effect anyways. Other factors seem to have much more influence and it's rarely one thing but several, even if one thing is the straw that broke the camel's back.

For the Music Ed people; correlation is not causation. Go ask the science teacher to explain what that means.

And reducing people that oppose amplifying the entire brass line to ‘Dinos’ or the ‘Get of my Lawn’ crowd is red herring, let’s clean up the thinking here, folks. Or better yet, I’ll play your game.  Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer admitted he and they (DCI Corps) did a bad job. So people who support amplifying the entire horn lines have tin ears that revel in inferior products and clearly can’t discern quality musical design or preformance so all of their opinions on the state and future of Drum Corps should be ignored. They hate Drum Corps.  In Fact, to support amplifying the entire horn line after the initial results and the condemnation by Cowtown and Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer is only affecting a lifestyle choice, a poseur posture because you like the idea. It'd be best to go back to blasting Lil Uzi Vert through your Beats to show how down with the kids you are so they fill up your band classes because um,  math is hard.

Or perhaps you didn’t attend enough shows in decent seats to hear just how awful it truly was employed. And if you're not spending the money, why do you matter?

I admire Cixelsyd battle against mushy thinking

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps uses electronics. Period. People desire to try out for drum corps and do so. Period. Therefore, people try out for an activity that uses electronics. Period. Just facts.

Yes, Drum corps uses electronics

but I spoke with Regiment members that were already in spring training before they knew their entire horn line would be amplified, how does that play into your facts? Not that your facts matters because they are not really facts or even relevant to the current discussion as its rather off topic. But I sign up for many things even though I don't like all aspects, like this Drum Corps Board for example.

And if you're saying the marchers should decide the rule, why didn't they get a voice? Only the designers got to vote or even speak about it, everyone else was shut out. They didn't even allow a counter point. That is a huge part of my objection, sorry I didn't make that more clear in my previous post but the Good Year Blimp was already decommissioned. From my limited sampling, most the marching brass player hated it. It doesn't mean they'll always hate it and I'd never claim it as a fact

And i thought the fact we were discussing was just one aspect of electronics, amplifying the entire horn line and the rule proposal that addressed repealing a rule that was only introduced last year.

Jeff, one simple question, why do you support what the experts,  Mr. Failed Professional Bluecoats Sound Designer said was done poorly?

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Joe Friday would be proud of you. :8_laughing:

• Haha 2

When I first taught middle school history, computers were beginning to be used in the classroom. There was some resistance from some students  who could not understand why they needed to learn to use computers. A few years later, there were no problems with computer use because students never knew anything different. In drum corps, I do remember some quibbling from people I knew who marched when front ensembles came into being, especially as more things were added. My bet is few if any marchers complain today since the beginning of the front ensemble was prior to their lifetime and they never knew anything else. My guess is few kids today would give amplification a second thought. For school plays, kids wear microphones. Electronic sound effects are common. Technology is a way of life. This is not new and kids do not know anything different. So unless a young marching member has inner ear issues that are triggered by electronic amplification, use of electronics and amplification probably does not play a role in whether to march in drum corps.