2018 Rules proposals

19 hours ago, glory said:

We have to be careful with "tools." The playing field isn't level (and never was) with a lot more than amps, mics and mixing boards. We know that some corps get new horns every year while others subsist on hand-me-downs. Some get prime staff and prime talent. BD and SCV can afford to run a corps year to year. Everyone else - everyone else! - struggles every day.

The tools have never been distributed equally. That said, I am in total agreement that every tool should be evaluated by the judges on an equal basis. That hasn't been happening. Relying disproportionately on a mic'ed subset of the hornline can't count the same as a hornline in full. Doesn't make sense.

HH

We need "restrictor plate" drum corps contests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guitar1974 said:

Golf limits clubs MOI or "spring" as well as length, etc.  All equipment is highly regulated and anything giving a distinct tech advantage eliminated (square grooves that make it easy to impart spin, etc)

My argument is that if sports adopted DCI's current philosophy on technology then anything goes- golfers would be allowed to launch golf balls with laser guided cannons.  Actually, that might be kinda entertaining.  

I'd also argue that if MLB baseball allowed metal bats then hitting home runs wouldn't seem so special anymore- they'd be popping balls over the fence all the time.  Kinda like musicians relying on tech to play loud and enhance tone.  Once everyone can, thanks to technology, then it isn't so special anymore.

Fair enough. While those techs have advanced, they are regulated. After watching the various Flo videos, Dan Potter's facebook Live sessions and informal chit-chats, my suspicion is DCI (which is to say, the member corps) aren't interested in committing the resources that would be necessary to regulate this technically specialized realm. Especially since it would likely involve so much chasing of the rabbit down the hole (even once they theoretically put procedures in place). As opposed to golf or tennis, where they only need a handle on a couple of pieces of equipment, you would be trying to regulate an entire fleet of electronics per team. More akin to NASCAR and F1 tech inspection and what-not. A lot of people and dollars per unit to keep everyone in line.

Interesting discussion.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

wrong.the criteria is built for a such a message. if your balance is out of whack the whole who, 2 tenths is not a message. it's "yeah i know, so sorry'. 5 tenths sends a message..."get your crap together and don't cry to me you're not getting credit because i can't hear the winds over the amps!"

those messages are not being sent in DCI, and in some band circuits. i'm not talking an issue in a spot or two, i'm talking show wide, and those issues DO happen in DCI. I still remember that year at East when Crown had the amps up so #### high people on the 20 complained the couldn't hear the corps. Yet they popped high 9's. I was rows away from the judges and i had issues hearing the battery and brass the entire show.

Maybe one judge should be randomly placed in the stands.  There could be a lottery - a few fans get to watch from the box, while the judge watches from say the 20-yard line 7 rows up.  & at the next show a new location is drawn from the hat...

Even better, randomly select a judge every show as well as a location for that judge every show...

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe one judge should be randomly placed in the stands.  There could be a lottery - a few fans get to watch from the box, while the judge watches from say the 20-yard line 7 rows up.  & at the next show a new location is drawn from the hat...

Even better, randomly select a judge every show as well as a location for that judge every show...

They aren’t getting my seat.  :laughing:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

oh yeah sitting in the stands.

corps is on the field...."hey mr judge isnt that great! give them a huge number" Oh what did you give that corps? their drum guy cut me and i hate them"

yeah exactly what we need

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Fair enough. While those techs have advanced, they are regulated. After watching the various Flo videos, Dan Potter's facebook Live sessions and informal chit-chats, my suspicion is DCI (which is to say, the member corps) aren't interested in committing the resources that would be necessary to regulate this technically specialized realm. Especially since it would likely involve so much chasing of the rabbit down the hole (even once they theoretically put procedures in place). As opposed to golf or tennis, where they only need a handle on a couple of pieces of equipment, you would be trying to regulate an entire fleet of electronics per team. More akin to NASCAR and F1 tech inspection and what-not. A lot of people and dollars per unit to keep everyone in line.

Interesting discussion.

Good points. NASCAR and the PGA Tour in particular can basically print money to do whatever needs to be done.

Drum corps.... not so much. LOL.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh yeah sitting in the stands.

corps is on the field...."hey mr judge isnt that great! give them a huge number" Oh what did you give that corps? their drum guy cut me and i hate them"

yeah exactly what we need

My last year marching, in DCA, 1982... there was a brass execution judge in the stands.  (And one on the field.)

I don't remember how the logistics were handled then, or how long that "judge in the stands' thing lasted. I don't remember if the judge was cordoned off or anything like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

My last year marching, in DCA, 1982... there was a brass execution judge in the stands.  (And one on the field.)

I don't remember how the logistics were handled then, or how long that "judge in the stands' thing lasted. I don't remember if the judge was cordoned off or anything like that.

seats were roped off. prime, revenue producing seats