The number of World Class Corps

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that ship has pretty much sailed.

I disagree. Look at who gets the most discussion on here and butts in the seats.  If I put a show out there with 5 Top 7 against a show of 8th-15th same night in 2 cities next to each other the top 7 groups would sell first.  The lower place finalist groups still play to the less than 3/4 full stands.  Ive witnessed posters on this forum say "I dont care about that garabge.  Less bad groups I have to watch to get to the good ones." 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dchristian125 said:
5 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

There can be only one. 

Lemme guess, Genesis.

Well I like the way you’re thinking, but you’re missing a very important movie reference....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I disagree. Look at who gets the most discussion on here and butts in the seats.  If I put a show out there with 5 Top 7 against a show of 8th-15th same night in 2 cities next to each other the top 7 groups would sell first.  The lower place finalist groups still play to the less than 3/4 full stands.  Ive witnessed posters on this forum say "I dont care about that garabge.  Less bad groups I have to watch to get to the good ones." 

I would wonder if there has ever been a time where if there was a show where the top seven from a previous year competed it would not sell out before a show in the same city with 8-15. Unless there is controversy surrounding a corps that places below 6th or 7th, the top performers usually get the most ink and sell tickets. The largest crowd I can remember at a 27th Lancers Invitational was in 1978 with the top six from 1977 competed. The theory of the G7 was somewhat valid as the success of TOC shows has shown. The problems for me was the arrogance and willingness to sell out the other corps and divide DCI, and the belief no one other than the original G7 would be the top 7 forever, something Boston Crusaders and Blue Knights has proven wrong. You are correct that there are some who only want to see the top corps and believe they have to sit through bad corps to get to the best, but this was the case long before the G7.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

that has been happening since the beginning of time. I remember decades go, being in my seat at prelims in Allentown, and watching the stands keep filling up as the day went on. I also saw the same thing going for quarters when they would have 27-30 corps back when they let the top D23 corps in. I saw it at local shows. I see it now. this is something you get everywhere in life. Go to a concert with an opening act. The place is usually at best half full until they are almost done.

however the post I quoted was a reference to the ill fated G7 attempted hostile takeover of DCI. That ship has sailed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I disagree. Look at who gets the most discussion on here and butts in the seats.  If I put a show out there with 5 Top 7 against a show of 8th-15th same night in 2 cities next to each other the top 7 groups would sell first.  

If you were to develop and market shows based on advance knowledge of who the "top 7" are going to be, in what ought to be a fair and unslotted contest, you would already have larger problematic forces in play.

That said, it comes as no surprise that someone who can only devote X hours to watching a contest will want to see the best X hours of it, if they have the ability to choose.  When there are preliminary/final rounds of competition, the finals will attract more simultaneous viewers.  But the reason for that is the context established by the field of way-more-than-7 competitors, from which only the current best advanced to finals.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 12:06 AM, Jeff Ream said:

I see it now. this is something you get everywhere in life. Go to a concert with an opening act. The place is usually at best half full until they are almost done.

Did this recently in STL [Scottrade Center] on 12/8.

Attendance: 13,000.

15 minutes prior to show the house was 60% full. THEN!!!

At "curtain" time............13,000.

Was amazed how quickly it filled in.

Opening Act: For King & Country.

End Act: Casting Crowns

So, not everywhere.........Thankfully!!

btw 1st tune of concert in video

Great drumming & brass playing in their set fyi

• Like 1