All time shows: The Cadets

Corps 12/24 will be the one that brought us a 12.25 show in the year '12. The Cadets seem to he the favorite corps to discuss for DCP so this thread is my holiday gift to the community. Enjoy!

I am planning on posting my list sometime tomorrow but if I can't sleep maybe I will tackle it later tonight. 

What are your top 1-5 all time Cadets shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

Week 5- Carolina Crown- Favorite: 2015 Inferno; Least Favorite: 2017 ...It is

Week 6- The Mandarins- 2017 inside the ink for favorite.

Week 7- Boston Crusaders- 2000 RED is the favorite.

Week 8- Pioneer- 1996 Celtic Twilight is the favorite.

Week 9- Santa Clara Vanguard- 1999 Inventions for a New Millennium favorite. 1995 Not the Nutcracker least favorite.

Week 10- Oregon Crusaders 2014 Nevermore is the favorite

Week 11- The Crossmen- 1992 Songs for the Planet Earth is the favorite.

Edited by ThePlanets

Favorites from The Cadets ( DCI years ) Chronological order:

1984......"West Side Story "

1987...." Appalachian Spring "

1989..... " ;Les  Miserables"

1992...... " To Tame The Perilous Skies "

1995........" American Quintet "

2002........" An American Revival "

2003....... " Our Favorite Things "

2005.........." The Zone "

2011.......... " Between Angels and Demons "

Least Favorites :

2004.......... " Living in the Past With Jethro Tull. "

2006........... " Volume 2  When Volume 1 Was All That Was Needed. " 

2007............." This I Can Not Believe " 

2014.............."  The Promise Of Talking About Famous Americans "

2016........... "  Somebody Was Stoned "

2017............." The Faithful, The Fallen, the Fateful Choir "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Cadets are a unique corps for me. I tend to be very "meh" towards them in the season, and then I usually sway drastically one way or the other once the DVDs come out. I don't think there is a corps' shows that I have more polarizing opinions about than The Cadets. Also, I still haven't watched much of anything pre-2000, so I have always (well mostly, thanks '09) known them as The Cadets and not GC or CBC.

In chronological order:

My Favorites:

2005: The Zone [dreamscapes in four parts with a door]

2007: This I Believe

2008: ...and the pursuit of happiness

2012: 12.25

2017: The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven (this was my Cabaret Voltaire for this season)

Honorable Mentions:

2004: Living With the Past

2009: West Side Story '09: Conflict and Resolution

2015: The Power of 10

Least Favorites:

2006: Volume 2: Through the Looking Glass

2010: Toy Souldier

2014: Promise: An American Portrait

This is actually really tough. The Cadets are probably one of the few corps that has achieved some of DCI's highest highs as well as its lowest lows in terms of show design. Until recently, however, execution levels have been pretty consistently top-notch no matter what the design.

Let's start with the favorites... Oh man, they've put out a lot of really good ones...

1983, the Rocky Point/original Mass show. You cannot make a list of the best (or even your favorite) Cadets shows without mentioning the one that changed the activity forever. It still feels timeless today.

1987, "Appalachian Spring." Another classic, timeless show. While I feel like SCV should have won that year, the Cadets brought something really unique to the field in terms of show design.

1993, "In the Spring..." They were at the top of what I consider to be one of the best Top 3's ever. 1992 was quite beautiful, but 1993 was an absolute powerhouse of a show. Not to mention, one of the best ballads ever. How has no one mentioned them yet?

2000, "We Are the Future." This show had everything: Fast drill, moments of pure beauty, and a wide range of emotions. They also proved that you could have a monster hornline on B-flat horns.

2011, "Between Angels and Demons." Without a doubt the best Cadets show of the decade so far.

Honorable mentions: 1990, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2012, 2015.

And now for the least favorites (I'll keep all of these short for everyone's safety)...

2008, "...and the pursuit of happiness." Just an overall poorly-conceived show, incredible Sacktig closer drill notwithstanding.

2010, "Toy Souldier." Two words: Little Geoffrey.

2016, "Sto-" I mean, "Awakening." The music wasn't bad, but it was extremely hard to watch the Cadets march a non-Sacktig drill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1