Drum Corps as an example of Meaner Society?

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Dude doesn't even know that drum corps is ALWAYS plural...haha

Actually, corps is a collective noun and singular, just like herd, which many think is "always plural".  So if you are using that as an indictment of the article, the haha is on you.  I think the use of "corp" was just a spelling error, but I will grant that the plural of "corps" should be corps'.

Edited by Bob P.
More info.

44 minutes ago, glory said:

Or maybe it all emerges from the same place? Art reflects society. Always has. Always will.

Not conceding anything on Cavies, however. The only thing funny about that show is that someone thought it was a good idea. 

HH

duuuuude

buddy

• Haha 1

^ Occult Blasphemous

^ Dark Liberals

18402804_10155297917969579_1449730029814

^ More occult

faf6111f1e83df30801e9f17add091f4.jpg

^ Glorifies the devil

I also don't think I need to go into all the examples of COMMIES in DCI history. Especially all the times that COMMIE ALFRED REED and his "COMMIE Christmas Music" has been played by SCV, Crossmen, and the like. /s

Edited by Huntington Mallets

Hmm.  

Blue Devils - Celebratory of their past, present, and future.  Hardly dark.  But butterflies are pretty spooky up close, remember that one episode of Spongebob?  Yikes.

SCV - Yes snakes can be scary, I think they’re kinda cool but that’s just me.  Pretty serious tone but not really dark.  

Carolina Crown - Unless he was a confused Colts fan watching their field get ripped apart not sure what was dark.  Pretty uplifting message I think.  Unless you don’t like singing with your drum corps.  Then this show is the most evil of them all.

Cavaliers - Maybe.  But it was funny.  

Bluecoats - Unless you have an unexplainable fear of Bob Fosse dancing at you in your nightmares that show was just extremely fun music with some flaws.  

Boston Crusaders - Obviously the occult one.  It was the most fun I had watching a show live last summer.  Maybe I need some help when girls are swinging and burning and I am screaming with joy.  

The Cadets - Too Catholic for him?  

Blue Knights - Probably didn’t understand it which translates to fear and it’s evil.  But a positive message nonetheless.   

Phantom Regiment - If I had to listen to that voiceover say fantasy all summer I’d probably be convinced a demon was trying to seduce me.   

Blue Stars - Not getting the girl you want is unfortunate but hardly something to throw an exorcism at.  

Crossmen - I mean bonda....cages are kinda spooky.   

Madison Scouts - Coulda been even darker and people woulda loved it.  

And outside the top 12.......what.  Mandarins?  That’s about the only darker tone one outside of some OC shows I can think of.  

Just kidding overall. Guy is pushing an agenda and uses this to try and fit and force it like Jeff said above and IMO using the drum corps activity to do that is pretty dumb.  I laughed though so thanks for that.  

:D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Actually, corps is a collective noun and singular, just like herd, which many think is "always plural".  So if you are using that as an indictment of the article, the haha is on you.  I think the use of "corp" was just a spelling error, but I will grant that the plural of "corps" should be corps'.

Technically agree with you about collective noun and singular...

spelling error is BS

I wonder what corps the guy's son marched in.  Or if he will be permitted to march again.

Yes, he had an agenda, but I wonder which came first--his reaction to the shows or the agenda.

We often wonder what people not familiar with the activity or its history think of drum corps and that's why I found the article worth posting.

As for the assertion that drum corps is "dark", I think there is a big difference between being a truly dark person and merely putting on a show.  The latter is what drum corps does.  His example of people watching NASCAR just to see car crashes is dark behavior.  The Boston Crusaders pretending to burn a witch is just a show.  We didn't enjoy watching it because we believe in the occult or like to watch people burn.  It was spectacle.

I don't buy that many of the themes chosen last year were a reaction to the election.  For one thing, most show ideas are hatched in the late Summer and many are ideas designers have been harboring for a while.  I also don't consider them all that dark.  

Imagine if this writer went to a WGI show instead of a DCI show,... lol!

Some people will see " meanness " in just about anything we could imagine. Nothing new under the sun in that, imo.

Some people even think its the times we live in. That its unprecedented or something.  Maybe. But I know ( for example ) how well bred,  highly educated, gentlemen politicians used to sometimes settle their political differences in our early years. With a gun duel to the death.. Perfectly legal at the time . Does Hamilton- Burr ring a bell ?  haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1