Drum Corps as an example of Meaner Society?

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

this guy has an agenda, and honestly, his column is laughable when if he actually understood the activity, you'd find it's participants, fans and more are at best centrist and lean far more left on social issues, sexuality and more. Show themes also go in waves...dark for a year or so, back to happy for a year or so. He'd probably complain 92 Crossmen didnt do enough for the environment

It’s my impression that the trend to the left, if you will, in drum corps is certainly a trend. I mean that in terms of social issues, sexuality and “more.” It’s not lost on me that the shows have, in general, certainly reflected this. Definitely in terms of attire and what is considered normal and, from what I have seen and heard, accepted conduct off the field.

I’m not altogether sure shows are “darker,” but they certainly have tended to be more overt and “blunt”in their themes and execution.

Many of you may consider me a prude, or behind the times. I am a creative director by trade, so I’m certainly not insensitive to Creative license. That said, I wouldn’t want my daughter to wear some of the guard uniforms I’ve seen of late, and definitely would not approve of my kid traveling with some of these corps based on what I have heard of their off field culture.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Sort of like we should not dismiss your comment for the lack of the possessive apostrophe in (a person's opinion)! :doh:

English and grammar classes ended over 50 years ago.  I wasn't very good then and I'm sure  there might be some cringing in DCP land after a post is submitted.

shamed emoticon

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Sort of like we should not dismiss your comment for the lack of the possessive apostrophe in (a person's opinion)! :doh:

Yes, exactly!  I wondered if anyone would catch that, especially the original criticizer:unsure:

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

English and grammar classes ended over 50 years ago.  I wasn't very good then and I'm sure  there might be some cringing in DCP land after a post is submitted.

shamed emoticon

You're English and Spellin' ain't so bad, Ghost, is just not as good as mind or some uthers on here, thats all. Besides, I heard you does much better on the Rithmetic.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drangin said:

There is no drama in Heaven. This guy does indeed have an agenda, but it serves no one on Earth any good.

Doesn't every columnist, left or right, have an agenda?

When my son got into DCI at age 12, both his mother (BK & VK alum) and I joked about the old adage that “whatever happens on the bus, stays on the bus.”

As I read some of the other posts on this topic I kept hearing, “Are we not men? (WE ARE DEVO!)”, which, by the way, Cavies should have used in ‘17.

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

You're English and Spellin' ain't so bad, Ghost, is just not as good as mind or some uthers on here, thats all. Besides, I heard you does much better on the Rithmetic.

I knew it!! You are actually Jethro Bodine!!!

39 minutes ago, TRacer said:

When my son got into DCI at age 12, both his mother (BK & VK alum) and I joked about the old adage that “whatever happens on the bus, stays on the bus.”

As I read some of the other posts on this topic I kept hearing, “Are we not men? (WE ARE DEVO!)”, which, by the way, Cavies should have used in ‘17.

Well.... We are all just spuds looking for the real tomato; and it would have been fun to see both Spaz Attack and Booji Boy in the Cavies show!!!