Drum Corps as an example of Meaner Society?

16 hours ago, Lance said:

i care a lot about what somebody on a site called "baptist news" thinks

anything from methodists or lutherans? 

I care a lot about what somebody on a site called "Drum Corps Planet" thinks.

Anything from Jazzers or Funkmeistets?

Edited by Stu
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lance said:

#fakenews

If anything, drum corps has provided an alternative to the current madness afloat...If shows are crafted with insight and integrity and performed well, as in any art form, meanness (which suggests intentional) has no relevance..only the perspective of the viewer whose pre-judged values might be in conflict would contribute to this "meanness" (imo)..I would not equate seriousness with meanness..a seriously concerned democracy is a good thing..it suggests that people care, just like we do when it comes to drum corps

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lance said:

my retired Lutheran pastor father in law's favorite show last year was Madison. go figure

• Like 1

Most corps suck at doing a dark theme coherently...here is a high school from nearly 20 years ago inspired by Orwell's 1984 novel...this is how you do a dark show.

Funny little story:  When I was traveling with Boston in 2009 ("The Core of Temptation"), I recall the show being received very well and finishing in 7th. BUT, the corps got some blistering notes and emails while touring through the Bible Belt.  One woman left a note one night at the souvie stand at a show in Louisiana, accusing BAC of "Mocking the downfall of mankind" and that she would never let her teenaged children go to a drum corps show again.   Something about taking a bite out of the apple...etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Funny little story:  When I was traveling with Boston in 2009 ("The Core of Temptation"), I recall the show being received very well and finishing in 7th. BUT, the corps got some blistering notes and emails while touring through the Bible Belt.  One woman left a note one night at the souvie stand at a show in Louisiana, accusing BAC of "Mocking the downfall of mankind" and that she would never let her teenaged children go to a drum corps show again.   Something about taking a bite out of the apple...etc etc etc.

A wonderful, wholesome show about the Rapture would have generated much more positive reviews. 

4 hours ago, craiga said:

2 hours ago, Invictus said:

A wonderful, wholesome show about the Rapture would have generated much more positive reviews. 

No; a Rapture themed show is not what most conservative's want; there is no desire for a corps to preach. The objection was that DCI is billed as a youth activity, and the on-field 'glorification' imagery concerning the fall of man into the sin of sexual immorality using the wink, wink, attitude that it is ok for youth to take a bite out of that apple. That is not a good message to portray in a youth activity.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe someone should do an 'Up With People' show....

Cadets already have. A couple times. And it's always cringe-tastic 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1