Pioneer Brass Caption Head discusses 2018 brass program

1 hour ago, lifeisaround said:

Because larger means better.... 

Exactly. It's all smoke and mirrors until we see/hear something.

When I marched, one of our bus jobs for rookies was "Overhype football coach guy boy" and it seems like that's what we get to experience on here with all these Pioneer brass captionhead. 

Maybe it's time to give it a rest and show the improvement or lack of when the season hits.  

All of these posts will seem absurd  if they don't live up to the posts, and frankly, after hearing them at camp, it's useless overhype...but that's my opinion.

2 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Because larger means better.... 

Having a larger staff doesn't automatically mean better, but it does allow us to more effectively rotate staff on and off tour like many of the corps already do.  An effective rotation guarantees that the corps will have more instructional staff on tour and available to work with the members at all times.  That in itself will provide a better educational experience for our members.

2 hours ago, dcifan1999 said:

Exactly. It's all smoke and mirrors until we see/hear something.

When I marched, one of our bus jobs for rookies was "Overhype football coach guy boy" and it seems like that's what we get to experience on here with all these Pioneer brass captionhead. 

Maybe it's time to give it a rest and show the improvement or lack of when the season hits.  

All of these posts will seem absurd  if they don't live up to the posts, and frankly, after hearing them at camp, it's useless overhype...but that's my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.  You have to understand that we're in a difficult position as a corps when it comes to hype vs. no hype.

We have taken a low key approach in some years on DCP and other outlets. But then we hear from fans, alumni and supporters (often loud & clear) that we should be doing more to hype things up for the upcoming season.  At the same time, there's plenty of posts like yours that would tend to suggest that we should be doing the exact opposite.  It's that awkward spot between a rock and a hard spot... and we've done a great job as an organization of wedging ourselves in there over the years.

When all is said and done, we do our best to communicate what's happening with the corps in a positive manner. At times is there hype or spin? You bet... That's part of marketing/PR for almost any organization or business. At times do we inadvertently "step in it"? Yes, we do. But so do a lot of other businesses & organizations. Feel free to Google "social media fails" for prime examples.  In the end - there isn't an exact science to how we (or any other corps) should approach things.  Everyone has a different opinion, and I can say with 100% certainty that we will never appease everyone.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, PioneerWebmaster said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion.  You have to understand that we're in a difficult position as a corps when it comes to hype vs. no hype.

We have taken a low key approach in some years on DCP and other outlets. But then we hear from fans, alumni and supporters (often loud & clear) that we should be doing more to hype things up for the upcoming season.  At the same time, there's plenty of posts like yours that would tend to suggest that we should be doing the exact opposite.  It's that awkward spot between a rock and a hard spot... and we've done a great job as an organization of wedging ourselves in there over the years.

When all is said and done, we do our best to communicate what's happening with the corps in a positive manner. At times is there hype or spin? You bet... That's part of marketing/PR for almost any organization or business. At times do we inadvertently "step in it"? Yes, we do. But so do a lot of other businesses & organizations. Feel free to Google "social media fails" for prime examples.  In the end - there isn't an exact science to how we (or any other corps) should approach things.  Everyone has a different opinion, and I can say with 100% certainty that we will never appease everyone.

Maybe instead of useless hype, it would be wise to work on your recruiting efforts.

For example-you're 1 1/2 hours from Chicago and there is ZERO effort. 

Might be better than social media false hype.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dcifan1999 said:

Maybe instead of useless hype, it would be wise to work on your recruiting efforts.

For example-you're 1 1/2 hours from Chicago and there is ZERO effort. 

Might be better than social media false hype.

Nearly 40% of the hornline is within two hours of Chicago :-)

9 hours ago, PioneerWebmaster said:

And for every WC corps, there are a few critics for whom there is nothing you can do right.

8 hours ago, PioBrass18 said:

Nearly 40% of the hornline is within two hours of Chicago :-)

My point is with a better recruiting effort you could easily double your numbers.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, dcifan1999 said:

My point is with a better recruiting effort you could easily double your numbers.

I appreciate the advice. Considering we have doubled numbers from last year so far (by focusing on who is already close to camp), you would be correct in your assessment that our numbers benefited from doing so. 

I understand that you feel that nothing will be different, and I'm not here to tell you it's going to be a certain amount better this year. I'm telling you we are doing our best to make the experience the best it can be for the students. The students do not owe "being better" to anyone but themselves. I'm so proud of the way they are working right now. I look forward to sharing clips from the Chicago parade in March to share our progress with everyone.