Madison Scouts v.s. Mandarins

Madison Scouts v.s. Mandarins, who will score and place higher?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Madison Scouts v.s. Mandarins, who will score and place higher?

• Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third edition of my match up series. In this edition, we will be looking at the Madison Scouts and the Mandarins. Looking back at the 2017 season, both corps accomplished many great things. The Madison Scouts pulled forward and made a return to finals after placing 13th at the 2016 DCI World Championships. They finished 12th in 2017 and changed their look for the first time since their founding by breaking away from the corps historical look. For the Mandarins, they had a successful season and finished 13th at the 2017 DCI World Championships. Throughout the 2017 season, the Madison Scouts and the Mandarins banged heads with each other and the competition got so intense  that at almost every other competition, the corps would place right next to each other. There were some points in the season where the scouts would finish ahead of the mandarins at one competition and then at the very next competition, the mandarins would finish ahead of the Scouts. From all of this, it is very clear that the two corps are going to be battling it out again next season. Now, in the poll that is attached, please vote for who you think will score and finish higher!

IMO, there is no way to say that any scores from this season will indicate competition between corps. For example, Coats went from 1st to 5th (2016 - 2017), Boston went from 12th to 6th (2016 - 2017), and Madison bounced from 6th to 13th (2015 - 2016). Once either corps shows consistency in placement, we can make an assumption about future rivalries.

That being said, the scouts shouldn’t have even been in finals this year. The 2017 show had far less substance than their “unsuccessful” 2016 production, and I personally believe that the show this year wasn’t even in the same league as the rest of the top 15. 

The Mandarins will place higher than the Scouts, but only due to the Scouts (program coordinators)  shortcomings 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gentle123 said:

IMO, there is no way to say that any scores from this season will indicate competition between corps. For example, Coats went from 1st to 5th (2016 - 2017), Boston went from 12th to 6th (2016 - 2017), and Madison bounced from 6th to 13th (2015 - 2016). Once either corps shows consistency in placement, we can make an assumption about future rivalries.

That being said, the scouts shouldn’t have even been in finals this year. The 2017 show had far less substance than their “unsuccessful” 2016 production, and I personally believe that the show this year wasn’t even in the same league as the rest of the top 15. 

The Mandarins will place higher than the Scouts, but only due to the Scouts (program coordinators)  shortcomings 

Hey, I respect your opinion regarding making predictions this early and the involvement of using scores to make predictions. This is just fan based and opinion based.( the poll attached ). Thanks.

2 hours ago, gentle123 said:

I personally believe that the show this year wasn’t even in the same league as the rest of the top 15. 

The Madison Scouts went 5-0 vs. the Mandarins the last 5 head to head matchups with the Mandarins last summer. The last 3 head to head match up point spreads were 1.6.... 1.9.... and .9 tenth separations. Say what we will, but the judges... a diverse group in the 5 head to head matchups... had the Madison Scouts pretty solidly ahead of the Mandarins all thru the important 2nd half of the season. Those point spreads told the story that the Judges certainly disagreed with your own personal assessment that the Scouts show " wasn't even in the same league as the rest of the top 15 ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I think Jeff Ream has it about right, ie.... whoever scores the highest will place ahead of the other next summer.

Beyond that, my  personal crystal ball is completely fogged up due to higher than normal room humidity, so I'll have to get the defogger to work before I'll really be able to tell who will finish ahead of the other next summer. I hope to get my crystall ball up and running however before the other Ball comes down in Times Square in 8 days hence. So we'll " see ".

• Like 1

At this point, I have no idea. The Mandarins are keeping pretty much all their staff from 2017 while also bringing in Tim Snyder to head the brass program. Meanwhile, Madison is getting some designers that had a significant hand in some of their best past products. I get to see both of these corps live in 2018, so I'll let you know what I think then!

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

Madison missing finals in 2016 and BAC making finals reminded me of Blue Stars being pushed out in 2012 and Crossmen returning to finals. Madison, like Blue Stars, lost steam, BAC, like Crossmen had that certain so something  that pushed them ahead.

Madison needed to change things, but I'm not sure changing the classic look and sound was the way to do it. Mandarins, and Academy to some extent too, were ready at the starting gate, but failed to clean and tweak as the season progressed, or so it seemed.

I suppose it depends on lessons learned from last season, but if I were Madison, I'd be concerned. Mandarins' improvement and climb has been steady.

• Like 1

I liked both shows and saw them a few times before seeing all of finals week. Was glad Madison made it to Saturday night. Would have been happy to see Mandarins there, too. (For my tastes, I'd have substituted Mandarins for Crossmen in terms of simple enjoyment of the shows.)

If taken literally, it's a silly assertion that Madison's show wasn't in the same league as the rest of the top 15. But if this is a dramatic way to communicate that someone didn't like the show, no problem.

I'm hoping the surprising direction Madison took in 2017, along with what seems to be an updating of the organization (FPA) itself, foreshadow more success in 2018. I'm hoping Mandarins in 2018 don't become The Academy in 2017. As for who comes out on top, I'd say Madison. It's both a wish for that and a forecast (as far as any forecast can be made in December about a complex package of entertainment that's not going to take place until August - and from someone who only sits in the stands and watches and listens).

• Like 1

The edge would seem to be with the Madison Scouts. While the Mandarins have never made DCI Finals, the Madison Scouts have made DCI Finals 41 times,... including last season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I wonder if the academy vs Madison was started a year ago what the result would be

• Like 1