All time shows: Corps that are no longer with us

On 1/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, DCIPhan78 said:

1997 Magic of Orlando (that hornline though....)

1986 Suncoast Sound

1991-1993 Star of Indiana

Sad that I missed those hornlines from 96-98 at Magic.  We were still solid in 1999 but the quality of sound those lines could put out on those ancient mismatched horns speaks volume to the talent that was there.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, DCIPhan78 said:

1997 Magic of Orlando (that hornline though....)

1986 Suncoast Sound

1991-1993 Star of Indiana

Sad that I missed those hornlines from 96-98 at Magic.  We were still solid in 1999 but the quality of sound those lines could put out on those ancient mismatched horns speaks volume to the talent that was there.

I marched '95 and '96 and those Dynasty horns were really pieces of work. I think in the baritone line alone there were 3 manufacturers of horns if that tells you anything. Great times had with those groups!!

Edited by DCIPhan78

On 1/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, MikeN said:

The '96 Magic show, at the time, was an odd bird that I don't think really got the props it deserved, even as a finalist.  As time goes on, that show holds up *really* well.  Twelve Seconds is just a great piece!

Mike

I haven't watched that many Magic of Orlando shows but I just watched this one for the first time and WOW, I couldn't agree with this statement more!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was watching the lothype.com showdown tonight.  It made me kind of sad.  It was as if nothing happened before 1989. 

Yeah. There are a lot of factors that play a role in that. One is I don't think a lot of folks knew about the bracket when it started and it was the Facebook crowd. Associated with that is just that younger people are better at technology and follow stuff like that closer.

Also it's not hard to find pristine HD quality film on shows 2009 and later... while on the other hand the AV quality for the 72 Kingsman is awful.

In the end, although I don't really agree with the bracket seeding I think Inferno vs Spartacus is a fair final matchup.

Would have loved to see shows like 76 BD and 80s Madison Scouts and Cadets in there.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Did they ever announce a winner?  

I sent you a PM to not spoil it for people that want to watch it. They announced it at the end of the broadcast.

• Like 1