2018 Programs & Playlist

On the "for what it's worth" scale and being a Trooper mark, I can't remember a time since 2007 that the Troopers announced a show by talking to the local news in Casper.  If I had to guess, Fred was being interviewed and spoke of some things that might be getting kicked around currently and it was reported as the real deal.  I think I'll wait until we hear it from the Troopers.  They have normally had an announcement through their own media not the local news and this one doesn't feel right.  JMO

• 3 weeks later...

The sousaphone background apparently has no relevance.

For those who don't have 18 minutes for the Mandarins video, here's a quick summary:

"Life Rite After" is described as "a play on what we believe happens after the sacrificial virgin dances herself to death in The Rite of Spring ... we are not doing The Rite of Spring; we are continuing and opening up the possibilities of whatever we want to happen on the field ... our intro ... is definitely intended to take you back to when she dances herself to death ... our first production  [has a] change of mood immediately ... utilizing the color guard to tell the story ... our competitive goal is to be in the top ten this year ... to get the audience to understand and to play a part in what we are producing is such a great feeling ... you will see influences and tastes of The Rite of Spring [but no actual music from that ballet] ... really like to push boundaries ... pushed the envelope last year and the audience saw that ... want that to continue ... [corps has] a new look ... something that is absolutely captivating and is going to be talked about."

(At one point, the host says "everybody knows Rite of Spring", but I'm not sure that's true even among drum corps fans, BD '13 and a few other shows notwithstanding.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For those who don't have 18 minutes for the Mandarins video, here's a quick summary:

"Life Rite After" is described as "a play on what we believe happens after the sacrificial virgin dances herself to death in The Rite of Spring ... we are not doing The Rite of Spring; we are continuing and opening up the possibilities of whatever we want to happen on the field ... our intro ... is definitely intended to take you back to when she dances herself to death ... our first production  [has a] change of mood immediately ... utilizing the color guard to tell the story ... our competitive goal is to be in the top ten this year ... to get the audience to understand and to play a part in what we are producing is such a great feeling ... you will see influences and tastes of The Rite of Spring [but no actual music from that ballet] ... really like to push boundaries ... pushed the envelope last year and the audience saw that ... want that to continue ... [corps has] a new look ... something that is absolutely captivating and is going to be talked about."

(At one point, the host says "everybody knows Rite of Spring", but I'm not sure that's true even among drum corps fans, BD '13 and a few other shows notwithstanding.)

Thank you for the recap. 20 minutes to introduce a production that is about half as long. I don't know when it becomes too much, but this was definitely past that point for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Thank you for the recap. 20 minutes to introduce a production that is about half as long. I don't know when it becomes too much, but this was definitely past that point for me.

a wise judge once told me "if it takes you more than 3 minutes to explain what you're doing, you over designed.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

a wise judge once told me "if it takes you more than 3 minutes to explain what you're doing, you over designed.

Unless your brief explanation consists of "It's about statues.  Coming to life"

In that case, be prepared for dragging over the coals.

• Haha 1

Cadets 2018: "The Conversation: Everybody's Talking, Nobody's Listening"

"The Sound of Silence" by Paul Simon

"Sensemaya" by Silvestre Revueltas

"Buyan" by John Psathas

Original music by Drew Shanefield

Other selections TBA?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ghopcadet/videos/10155189949456911/

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

10 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Other selections TBA?

Also "Buyen" by John Psathas

and ~1:15 original fill by Drew Shanefield

On 2/7/2018 at 12:28 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

I would’ve gone with The Rite of Summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

"Buyan" by John Psathas

Original music by Drew Shanefield

Other selections TBA?

These have been added to the YouTube and Rhapsody Playlists.