2018 Programs & Playlist

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Dear Carolina Crown: 

"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast” , not "beast".   

Sincerely, William Congreve, "The Mourning Bride", Act 1, Scene 1 [1697]

Ok...?

Edited by CommanderCoconut

Carolina Crown and Jersey Surf have been added to my YouTube Playlist "Drum Corps 2018"

5 hours ago, Eleran said:

Dear Carolina Crown: 

"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast” , not "beast".   

Sincerely, William Congreve, "The Mourning Bride", Act 1, Scene 1 [1697]

You're point being? So they changed it to fit their theme. Name one musician who hasn't taken artistic liberties... Lol. 

5 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

You're point being? So they changed it to fit their theme. Name one musician who hasn't taken artistic liberties... Lol. 

Your.

Also, when a common mistake is repeated ("savage beast" for "savage breast"--and are we sure that Crown's staff did that deliberately and didn't just goof?), it's merely a public service to point out the correct quote to general observers.

Carry on.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Your.

Also, when a common mistake is repeated ("savage beast" for "savage breast"--and are we sure that Crown's staff did that deliberately and didn't just goof?), it's merely a public service to point out the correct quote to general observers.

Carry on.

One, it's called auto correct, and since most of us post from our phones these days I feel correcting the proper use of your, you're, and you are is uncalled for. 

Two, considering the show is called BEAST, one could definitely assume that it was done on purpose and not unintentionally. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

One, it's called auto correct, and since most of us post from our phones these days I feel correcting the proper use of your, you're, and you are is uncalled for.

Two, considering the show is called BEAST, one could definitely assume that it was done on purpose and not unintentionally. 

I promise not to clog up this thread further than this post, so you may certainly have the last word, but (A) since the subject then under discussion was misspellings (whether deliberate or not), I thought you would laugh at a note on your you're--my apologies for offending ewe; (B) we have no idea whether the tag line that opens Crown's teaser video is germane to their show: it's quite possible, nay, even probable that they developed their title and theme and title long before they came up with the announcement, which is much less important, and never bothered to check on a very famous misquote. There's nothing that a hundred men on Mars could do to convince me otherwise. But it matters only to the degree that it spurred Eleran to let people know about Congreve, an important playwright most people these days have never heard of. To wit, here's another famous quote from the same play: "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

Here's something funny: these quotes have been cited before in a DCP discussion.

• Thanks 1