Music Modernization Act?

I read in this article about Spotify being sued for $1.6 billion by a licensing company that Congress is considering a "Music Modernization Act" that would change the way music is licensed. You can read more about the proposed law in this piece at Billboard. It's not clear to me how this would affect drum corps, but as licensing has been a regular topic of discussion here, I thought it would be of interest.

Just briefly glancing through, 

"... amending Section 115 of the U.S. Copyright Act to change the way the Copyright Royalty Board determines rates from using a legal standard to one that reflects market value by trying to approximate a willing buyer/willing seller market rate."

Sooo... no more paying the maximum for everyone if doing a medley?! Pay more for highly sought-after music and pay less for little sought-after music??... sounds right to me.  :-)  

On the other hand, I don't see anything having to do with arranging rights.  Mostly focuses on mechanical and sync rights... so it'd be interesting to see the impact on DCI's media content.  

• Thanks 1

looks lobbyist written to their benefit....and i doubt the songwriters themselves get the benefits

On 1/4/2018 at 12:02 AM, Jeff Ream said:

looks lobbyist written to their benefit....and i doubt the songwriters themselves get the benefits

The interesting thing is the contrast between those licensing and those producing.  

God love capitalism.

'Merica