All time shows: Madison Scouts

Favorites:

1988-Still get chills listening to this version of Malagueña

1995-Intense from beginning to end

1992-Didn't really think so at the time, but I now put the closer up there as one of my favorites.

HM:

1981-At one time I would have called this my favorite

1999-Great arrangement of Jesus Christ Superstar

Least favorite:

2009-Why?????

2014-Just didn't feel the quiet ending

1989-Slaughter just dragged on and on

Pre-DCI: 1971

My top 5 favorites....

1.  1988

2.  1995

3.  1975

4.  1978

5.  1980

Least favorite

• Like 1

I saw Madison in 1975 and was blown away by the sound of the  horn line and the show as a whole.  Gershwin"s Rhapsody In Blue",  the "Dueling Banjos" drum solo, "The Way We Were" , Slaughter on Tenth Avenue".  All of the songs were recognizable my most folks.  Many of the songs had been used in movies.  1975 stands out among others as a pillar year for Madison.  The next year In 1976 they  did a show at San Jose State where they performed the theme from "Shaft" as the opener.  It was the one and  only time I got to see that version of the show as they later scrapped it midseason for "Stars and Stripes"  but 1975 really stands out.

The one Madison show I like to listen to often is 1977.  From the powerful opening statement of "New York New York" to all of the creative arrangements from "West Side Story".

Edited by HouserCD

Hmmm..

The 2004 "Madisonic" show... I was terribly underwhelmed by, very let down. Saw this live... and the anticlimactic non-impact in Malaga made my heart fall through to the bottom of Allentown School District Stadium. If someone's hurt by that, so be it. I was disappointed. Thinking about that experience and how sad I was... I'm not sure I've reached the half-life with it. :dontgetit:

I felt 2014 could have been more, much, much more. It was if they deliberately avoided the Ellis stuff associated with the Scouts, ran and hid from it... and went with stuff Ellis geeks such as myself are cool with, but aren't as accessible nor perhaps as corps friendly. It just got way too obtuse.

What ones do I like?

2011, 1997,1996, 1995...1993, 1992, 1991... 1980. (Is there some kind of a pattern there with liking 6 of the 7 years from 1991 to 1997!?!?!?!)

Faves

1975 - What else needs to be said? Swagger, bravado, power. Classic Madison.

1988 - Yes, even though SCV came in 2nd.  When Malaguena REALLY came of age (I particularly love the video from England in the rain from the European tour...search for it...the crowd is SO into it at the end)

1995 - Oh, yes.  More please!

1996 - Why, thank you!

1999 - Perhaps my favorite musical, put on the field the way only Madison can.

HM

2010 - I saw them live at the first show of the season in Akron.  Held my phone up for the opening hit so my parents could hear it.

2011- Didn't get to see this live or would likely be up above. Fan videos don't do the ending justice, but better than nothing.

Leasts - (only from those I've seen live/on video, which aren't many)

2005 (video) - Had to watch to see what was what, so to say.  Ummm...

2017 (live) - Sorry, I know people give them props for setting "stretch goals" but (to me) the show never went anywhere, no real climax/power hits or moments (even the "Music for Prague" section did poor justice to the source music given Madison's pedigree/penchant for volume). A miss for me.

Can I vote for 1995 all 5 times?

edit: please?

Edited by Lead

Favorite = 1975.  Power, performance, swagger.  Made me like Madison from then on.  The battle between Madison and Muchachos at CYO Nationals was epic.

Least favorite:  2017.  To me it was confusing.  But then that may be a me problem and not a Madison problem..  LOL