Freelancers in 1984 movie

13 hours ago, ironlips said:

I had never heard that anecdote. What a great story!

The Cambridge Cabs were a very progressive group. I think I wore out 2 or 3 copies of the 1960 LP, "Horns Aplenty" which features a cover photo of the corps performing an outdoor concert at the band shell.

The great Al Saia wrote the brass book, Don Benedict, the drum charts. Prince's Scotty Chappell scripted the drill. Their version of Maleguena set the standard for all the others that followed.

Mr. Saia also wrote for the St. Rose Scarlet Lancers and St. Mary's Cardinals. He had an interesting style. His use of harmony sopranos was unique. Sort of haunting.

In 1961-1962 (I think) I heard that he was using some baritones with soprano mouthpieces. He voice them like mellophones.

An innovative and very talented guy.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, ironlips said:

I don't know what the financial arrangements were, but the experience for the corps members was priceless. Just being around Nelson Riddle, A-list actors and a professional film crew was a real treat. It definitely encouraged the performers to raise their game in every respect for the rest of the season.

I remember that shoot at Lincoln Center in '68 for Sweet Charity. Shirley MacLaine was a hoot. We used the cash to charter the plane to New Orleans, where we won Legion Nationals. The Skyliners used their share to buy a set of the new G/F horns. Both corps benefited greatly.

It was, and is, a priceless memory.  Barbara Eden was just like you'd expect; kind and sweet.  What a special lady!  I remember George Kennedy being somewhat intense as he was rehearsing his lines in between scene shots off to the side of the set.  Other people in the cast included Joe Namath (he wore his Super Bowl ring and even took the time to throw a few footballs to some members of the corps), Melissa Sue Anderson (Little House on the Prairie - absolutely beautiful, but not nearly as kind and sweet as Barbara Eden), the Double-mint twins, and a number of other actors/actresses you'd recognize, but I don't recall their names.

I also remember LOTS of food on the set for breakfast and lunch (We had to wait for the "real" cast members to eat first before we got to swoop in and feast away with whatever was left).  Being in the presence of Nelson Riddle was totally cool.  What a great memory.  And working with a Grammy winner (Frank) was a treat.

As for payment, we all received a small amount of money for our services, but nothing too elaborate.  I don't know what the corps received (if anything).  But Frank said it best; it was a priceless memory we can all take through our lives.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, Florida Sun said:

Frank i wonder how much they where paid for that,l know Sunrisers where paid 3,000.00 for Sweet Back in 68 .Money went for the Nationals in New Or.at the time.

All You Sun alums have to remember the Burger King commercial that we did!  There was a big rally in an auditorium for the Burger King employees afterwards that had strange almost errie cult like atmosphere.  Fran what year was that?

George

On 1/30/2018 at 10:41 AM, Bucbari said:

All You Sun alums have to remember the Burger King commercial that we did!  There was a big rally in an auditorium for the Burger King employees afterwards that had strange almost eerie cult like atmosphere.  Fran what year was that?

George

1978. "Cult-like atmosphere" is a good way to describe it.

Hands down, the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced in drum corps... and that's saying a lot.  LOL

I remember us having to be there at some ungodly early hour... 6 AM or so.... the auditorium was jammed with yelling and screaming Burger King employees, nearly completely out of  control. And we had to go up on stage and play those ad jingles in front of them. Like they even heard what was going on.  :tongue:

But the topper for me was the guy in the Burger King mascot costume.... the guy was some combination of stoned, drunk, and/or whacked out on harder drugs. Couldn't even see straight. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

l remember the Long Island Kingsmen with there Royal Crown Cola tv ads ,they got that due to the flags with the crown on them.LOL