Maryland Hall of Fame Inductees Named

Welcome to the Class of 2018!!!

Six people will be inducted into the Maryland Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame, at the annual banquet in the Baltimore area the afternoon of Saturday, March 24.

The inductees are:

Bob Andrews
Ray Eyler
John Hentschel
Larry Kerchner
Gilman "Butch" Rathel
Patrick Taylor

If you would like to join us that day, you're welcome to attend!!! Just send me a PM here on DCP for more information. 
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:
Welcome to the Class of 2018!!!

Six people will be inducted into the Maryland Drum and Bugle Corps Hall of Fame, at the annual banquet in the Baltimore area the afternoon of Saturday, March 24.

The inductees are:

Bob Andrews
Ray Eyler
John Hentschel
Larry Kerchner
Gilman "Butch" Rathel
Patrick Taylor

If you would like to join us that day, you're welcome to attend!!! Just send me a PM here on DCP for more information. 

Just seeing those names brings back many great memories for so many great corps.

Will the entertainment be excepts of "The Crabcake Cantata?":innocent:

Edited by xandandl

Hearty congratulations to Bob, Ray, John, Larry, Butch and Patrick.

It's especially gratifying to see Ray Eyler honored. He is a true drum corps Renaissance Man: soloist, instructor, adjudicator, and mentor to so many of us by virtue of his masterful achievements in all those areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BigW said:

Ray. :satisfied: That's great!

Gil Rathel, as in Don Ellis' Lead Trumpet???? Didn't realize he had any corps background.

Yes, the same guy!!!

He spent some time with the Yankee Rebels.  His dad Gil Rathel was a longtime member of the Rebels.... the elder Gil was best known for being one of the "generals" (Union or Confederate, I forget  which) in the corps'' "Requiem for an Era" production. The elder Gil passed away several years ago... he also is a member of the Maryland Hall.

The younger Gil has quite an extensive professional resume on trumpet.

13 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes, the same guy!!!

He spent some time with the Yankee Rebels.  His dad Gil Rathel was a longtime member of the Rebels.... the elder Gil was best known for being one of the "generals" (Union or Confederate, I forget  which) in the corps'' "Requiem for an Era" production. The elder Gil passed away several years ago... he also is a member of the Maryland Hall.

First saw Gil in the Hank Levy documentary "A Head of Time" where they interviewed him concerning his experiences with Levy and Ellis. He was one of Levy's Towson grads that went straight to bands out of college like the Kenton and Ellis bands. They'd call Levy for people to fill spots and he'd send him his best grads, no questions were asked. From talking to the people who did the documentary at length several years ago- evidently Levy wouldn't send anyone to Buddy Rich- he felt he'd burn them out and grind them to death. I found that rather interesting.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes, the same guy!!!

I think he was a confederate. I'll have to ask Dad

4 hours ago, BigW said:

First saw Gil in the Hank Levy documentary "A Head of Time" where they interviewed him concerning his experiences with Levy and Ellis. He was one of Levy's Towson grads that went straight to bands out of college like the Kenton and Ellis bands. They'd call Levy for people to fill spots and he'd send him his best grads, no questions were asked. From talking to the people who did the documentary at length several years ago- evidently Levy wouldn't send anyone to Buddy Rich- he felt he'd burn them out and grind them to death. I found that rather interesting.

not really if you followed Buddy at all. he was a ######## to his band. it was all about him. I think it's still on Youtube...a band member taped a Buddy rant after a show...apparently this was a daily way of life playing for Buddy.

Look I could listen to Buddy play all day. But even the year he played at Serenade, he trashed the drum corps world on stage.

53 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think he was a confederate. I'll have to ask Dad

And Jack Doster was the other general.

Mr. Jack is still going strong!!!

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not really if you followed Buddy at all. he was a ######## to his band. it was all about him. I think it's still on Youtube...a band member taped a Buddy rant after a show...apparently this was a daily way of life playing for Buddy.

Look I could listen to Buddy play all day. But even the year he played at Serenade, he trashed the drum corps world on stage.

John Arietano told me a great story about seeing Buddy get into it with the manager of a club in NJ, circa 1960s or so.

Too long to share here... but it was pretty funny.  "Angry Buddy" in a nutshell, shall we say.  LOL.