Food Preferences and Allergies - Who's Responsible?

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I've been plant-based with my diet for a couple years now, and I really never thought about this before. 

Has anybody ever heard of members who make (or have their parents make) a bunch of big batches of freezable curry-type bases, and give them to the corps cooks before going on tour?

I think if I were marching with my current diet,  that's exactly what I'd do.  I don't mean to knock any volunteers for any corps, but it's rare to even find restaurants that serve hearty plant-based stuff that actually tastes good and is nutritious.

i've not heard of it, but it could be a choice that solves several issues

Parents assistance? I've seen it both ways in my food truck service. One year we had a mother of a vegan come aboard a few times during the tour to prep vegan meals we could store and use later. It wasn't everything. But it was plenty. And besides, her daughter was one of the sweetest members ever, someone who never complained even when she probably had hoped for better. God bless her. Then there was the mother whose food truck time seemed devoted mostly to berating the rest of us for a number of offenses, most of which centered around not being creative enough vegetarian shoppers and cooks. Oh well. 

All in, I think we do a pretty good job. Is every meal a vegetarian feast? No. But neither can every meal be a feast for every member. Are vegan and gluten free a particular challenge on the truck? Absolutely. Chances are one of the four meals a day represented some sort of a compromise. Looking at that another way, three of the four probably weren't "compromises," which isn't actually terrible.

HH 

Edited by glory

On 1/25/2018 at 7:22 PM, Lance said:

I've been plant-based with my diet for a couple years now, and I really never thought about this before. 

Has anybody ever heard of members who make (or have their parents make) a bunch of big batches of freezable curry-type bases, and give them to the corps cooks before going on tour?

I think if I were marching with my current diet,  that's exactly what I'd do.  I don't mean to knock any volunteers for any corps, but it's rare to even find restaurants that serve hearty plant-based stuff that actually tastes good and is nutritious.

Members providing their own food, at least in part, was my thought too. The consensus seemed to be that 'I paid for tour, that includes food, so I shouldn't have to bring my own food.' I was really confused by this mentality, but maybe I'm just old.

21 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Members providing their own food, at least in part, was my thought too. The consensus seemed to be that 'I paid for tour, that includes food, so I shouldn't have to bring my own food.' I was really confused by this mentality, but maybe I'm just old.

Tour cooks could meet their commitment financially, but I'd most likely be miserable eating the things they'd put together after a week.  I don't like much pasta or bread, and those are what most people think of when they think plant-based meals. Bread and pasta with a bunch of veggies. Nope. 

Making a batch of curry bases and such to last 10 weeks for me would cost maybe $50-$75 altogether.  I could make due with the produce/potatoes/beans they provide after that.

To each their own, though.