Spielberg to remake West Side Story

3 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

It could be done as long as it's the original score and uses real Broadway stars / singers.  The public should never again be tortured with the likes of another Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis movie remake with their awful Hollywood / pop cast of performers.  No matter how much money the creators of thes two musicals made, I lost a lot of respect for them for what they allowed to happen to their musicals.  Absolutely atrocious.  

You left out Madonna as “Evita”.  :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Does anyone in Hollywood have an original idea?  

Many of them in Hollywood don't even have a clue, Terri.... lol.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Interesting that Bernstein's name is nowhere to be found in the article.  Are we to assume it's the same music or will that be "remade", too?

In any case, not a fan of this particular remake. 

Same here.

It would be like remaking "Casablanca." Why even try???  What... in the remake, Victor Laszlo doesn't get on the plane???   :8_laughing:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

The first Ben Hur was a silent film.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016641/

Don’t even try to watch Ben Hur 2016.  Unwatchable. 

And black and white.  And not widescreen. 

• Like 2

I saw that Tony Kushner is writing a new book for it, and I guess I"m okay with it?  HOPING they keep most of the music and choreography the same. 

As long as it has a Tony and Maria ANYWHERE near as good as Larry Kert and Carol Lawrence, I'll be okay with it. 

The last Broadway revival had an awful Tony, and I've always felt that the dubbing for both Wood and Beymer in the film version made all of their scenes feel super plastic. 

You will not find a better blend of timbre and emotion than they had. This is still incredibly moving, old as it is:

Edited by Lance
  • Like 5

I have this CD.  https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bernstein-conducts-West-Story/dp/B000001G62

It’s great.  And the PBS documentary of the making of it is fantastic.  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-making-of-west-side-story-conducted-by-leonard-bernstein-dvd-1985/14507198.p?skuId=14507198

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lance said:

As long as it has a Tony and Maria SOMEWHERE near as good as Larry Kert and Carol Lawrence, I'll be okay with it. 

Fixed it for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1