Spielberg to remake West Side Story

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

I see what you're saying. 

I'm hoping he pulls it off, though. 

I show WSS to all of my freshman classes every year before we start Romeo and Juliet, and I'd love to have a more modern version that still keeps most of the music and choreography.  I literally watch it 3 or 4 times every year, lol. 

When I was in 8th grade, which was 47 years ago, we had a book that had one side that was Romeo and Juliet, and you turned it over and the other side was West Side Story.  

Edit:  Believe it or not, there’s one still out there!   https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/romeo-and-juliet-west-side-story-william-shakespeare/1108830107#/

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, glory said:

No doubt WSS is critical of the society that created the gang environment and thus the gangs. Where i think Speilberg will struggle, and why I worry he'll alter the story, is WSS as it was written doesn't have the obvious establishment bad guy characters that Bridge of Spies did in the CIA guys or Schindler did in the Nazis or Jaws did in the mayor and business community. WSS has conflict with the establishment at its core. But the script is about conflict between the unfortunates. That's not what Spielberg does.

HH

But...it does have Sharks in it.    :3_grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Eleran said:

As opposed to '61, when the actors for both Maria and Tony had to be dubbed over with real singers?

Of note, Bernstein did a recording in '85 with opera singers (Kiri Te Kanawa and Jose Carerras) ... it wasn't entirely a success.

It is a bit ironic that Kiri the Kanawa, a New Zealander and Dame of the British Empire sang the role of the Latina Maria and the very Spanish Jose Carreras sang the role of the Polish American Tony. I do agree that when you listen to that recording, you can't critique the performances, but somehow it doesn't feel right. 

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

My inside sources say Spielberg is talking to Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift for the leads.

Which is going to play Maria, and which is going to play Tony ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5