Spielberg to remake West Side Story

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’ve remade The Planet of the Apes and Superman like 14 times! 

Once we hit Rocky 7, I knew that eventually we'd be flying past Rocky's Apollo's kid prizefights toward Rocky's grandchild's prizefights at some point down the road too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

It could be done as long as it's the original score and uses real Broadway stars / singers.  The public should never again be tortured with the likes of another Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis movie remake with their awful Hollywood / pop cast of performers.  No matter how much money the creators of thes two musicals made, I lost a lot of respect for them for what they allowed to happen to their musicals.  Absolutely atrocious.  

To the best of my recollection, none of the Stars on the movie were from Broadway, but you not only had Bernstein and Jerome Robbins involved, but Robert Wise directed, Saul Chaplain was the musical arranger, and it was the tail end of the MGM musical machine. You don't have that experienced talent in Hollywood today for musicals.

3 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

It could be done as long as it's the original score and uses real Broadway stars / singers.  

I would imagine... just a guess really... that Spielberg will bring his redo up to PC standards of today. For example, the character " Maria " lest we  forget in the 1961 WSS film was Hispanic in the script. But she was played by Natalie Wood. On NYC's Broadway, by Carol Lawrence. I like these highly talented singers. actresses, but both are about as Hispanic as Robert Wagner or Robert Goulet were... haha!. And in the WSS early 60's film, the venue was NYC. But if you watched the film, you'd come away from the film believing that few ( or no ) blacks lived in NYC tenements in 1961, nor anywhere else in NYC for that matter in 1961. So my guess, Spielberg will put his own modern updated twist on the music classic by Bernstein.... especially with the actors/ actresses he chooses for all the film's roles.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Does anyone in Hollywood have an original idea?  

kind of. if they don't like an original story, they'll just reboot and rewrite the origin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Once we hit Rocky 7, I knew that eventually we'd be flying past Rocky's Apollo's kid prizefights toward Rocky's grandchild's prizefights at some point down the road too.

yo Adrian Junior

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

To the best of my recollection, none of the Stars on the movie were from Broadway, but you not only had Bernstein and Jerome Robbins involved, but Robert Wise directed, Saul Chaplain was the musical arranger, and it was the tail end of the MGM musical machine. You don't have that experienced talent in Hollywood today for musicals.

Chita Rivera was Anita in the original Broadway production.  Just a little trivia nugget.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tommynev said:

If he really wants to film a musical I bet he would do a bang up version of Miss Saigon. 

Could have another uproar, like there was with the stage production, if more Vietnamese actors are not used.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

It could be done as long as it's the original score and uses real Broadway stars / singers.  The public should never again be tortured with the likes of another Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis movie remake with their awful Hollywood / pop cast of performers.  No matter how much money the creators of thes two musicals made, I lost a lot of respect for them for what they allowed to happen to their musicals.  Absolutely atrocious.  

Let's not forget the movie version of Mama Mia.  Dear lord.

• Like 1