News from Allentown

Sorry, not what you may be thinking based on other social sites.

Rather the second of two usual drum corps fans' billeting in downtown Allentown has closed. Replacements at other facilities are at much higher rates this year. As downtown Allentown grows more corporate and the companies are willing to shell out larger bucks for the image, hotel rooms also go up in price. First Hampton Inn closes, now the Holiday Inn. Hope you find something affordable by August third. http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-biz-holiday-inn-closes-20171226-story.html

Edited by xandandl

Good to know. I usually stay in Quakertown and book as soon as I know that I'll be able to go to Allentown, but in 2013 I did not know for certain until late June and finding a room was challenging. So if you think you'll be in Allentown, book now.

Just booked our room in the Bethlehem area.  Thanks for the reminders here, guys!!!

Back for the second year of the Crossmen Alumni and Friends Play in the Park Project.  Shameless plug, I know.  LOL.

• Like 1

Booked at the Renaissance almost a month ago. A little spendy, but straight shot to the stadium, and a great bar for "critique".

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s not just us. Music fest is also that weekend 

and isn't there usually the Macungie car show on the way out to Emmaus? DCI, Bethlehem Musikfest, and the old car guys all the same weekend.

Edited by xandandl

9 hours ago, xandandl said:

and isn't there usually the McGungie car show on the way out to Emmaus? DCI, Bethlehem Musikfest, and the old car guys all the same weekend.

Yes, the Macungie antique/classic car show is one of the biggest events of its kind in America.  But, there's more . . . .

Running concurrently with the Friday DCI event this year is a sold-out Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper concert downtown. That's 10,000 more visitors roaming around and booking hotels! The first weekend of August in Allentown has never in history been this 'jammed-up' with attractions. Prices for hotel rooms should be expected to be higher than usual and difficult to find.

By the way, the closing of the Holiday Inn downtown is not the big deal it might appear. It has been replaced by roughly 800 new hotel rooms since last year's DCI event. Check the area adjacent to the Promenade Lifestyle Center on Allentown's southern border. Two, large new hotels there. About five other new hotels recently added around the immediate area.

This is the fastest growing region in Pennsylvania as thousands have fled high tax states, New Jersey and New York.

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

This is the fastest growing region in Pennsylvania as thousands have fled high tax states, New Jersey and New York.

Oh is that why the Cadets fled New Jersey for Hopkin's home state? I had always heard it had something to do with bill collectors...and northern Jersey having snowballs and other words for Philadelphia football fans.

Edited by xandandl

12 hours ago, xandandl said:

and isn't there usually the Macungie car show on the way out to Emmaus? DCI, Bethlehem Musikfest, and the old car guys all the same weekend.

You might be right. Plus Dorney