News from Allentown

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don't find parking a problem in Allentown. Usually I park in the lot of a local florist near Yocco's and the Sunoco gas station. It's $5 on Friday and $10 on Saturday. There is also ample street parking if you don't mind a walk. Traffic leaving is another story.

hence why i stay and tailgate a little.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I usually find parking at the Fairgrounds. And it's a short walk

not as much free samples in the Farmer's Market as once was nor are the Mennonite/Amish (Penn-Dutch) deli delightss as ample. However, worth the visit particularly if one is from away and wants to try something a bit different than usual home fare.  For instance, who knew olives are a nice additive to egg salad? Always a contest with Yocco's who has the better pierogi offerings.

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

not as much free samples in the Farmer's Market as once was nor are the Mennonite/Amish (Penn-Dutch) deli delightss as ample. However, worth the visit particularly if one is from away and wants to try something a bit different than usual home fare.  For instance, who knew olives are a nice additive to egg salad? Always a contest with Yocco's who has the better pierogi offerings.

for the best pierogi's, you go down to the east end. pick any place

good steak...Staley's

16 hours ago, xandandl said:

They were at Baraboo several summers.Was it in the 2008-2013 range? Two of my sponsorees were marching guard there at that time. Yup. It was 2008. https://www.dci.org/news/madison-scouts-unite-on-the-banks-of-the-flooding-baraboo

My kid aged out in 2007.  

Last year, some group sold reserved parking in the lots on North St. Elmo (between HamFam and the stadium). Does anybody know who that was and how to sign up for this year?.

For the last 20-30 years we have parked on S. St. Elmo by Union Terrace park, but I'm getting too old for the walk.  

23 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don't find parking a problem in Allentown. Usually I park in the lot of a local florist near Yocco's and the Sunoco gas station. It's $5 on Friday and $10 on Saturday. There is also ample street parking if you don't mind a walk. Traffic leaving is another story.

We were fortunate last year...we got there so early on Saturday with the Crossmen Alumni folks that parking down at the far end of the park was not a problem.

Friday evening, we found a street spot not far from that Yocco's. Again, we got there early for the Crossmen Alumni rehearsal, so I'm sure that helped.

Hopefully the same scenario this year.  Yes, it's a bit of a hike coming and going... but Brenda and I are fine with walking, so no issues there. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

We were fortunate last year...we got there so early on Saturday with the Crossmen Alumni folks that parking down at the far end of the park was not a problem.

Friday evening, we found a street spot not far from that Yocco's. Again, we got there early for the Crossmen Alumni rehearsal, so I'm sure that helped.

Hopefully the same scenario this year.  Yes, it's a bit of a hike coming and going... but Brenda and I are fine with walking, so no issues there. 

especially if you have to walk off your stop at Yoccos.:laughing:

It's the hill that keeps killing my knees. 

I have long believed DCI and individual corps have missed a money making possibility or at least a better public relations opportunity that would come with a golf cart valet service taking the elderly and disabled to the top of the hill and souvie area from the main gate... or even from the back gate by the cemetery (for those whose seats may be closer to the field.) Hip surgery and knee replacement: the Irish-Catholic eighth sacrament.

now we'll have to worry whether the person in the next seat brings their service peacock or comfort pet llama.

(Seriously, I have a sister  who is blind, so I appreciate the reality of those with a true physical challenge; but seeing some of the pocketed cats and puppies that the security guards have missed at the gate entrances is even worse than the cell phone users who don't turn off their electronics during the contest....End of rant.)