News from Allentown

23 hours ago, xandandl said:

They were at Baraboo several summers.Was it in the 2008-2013 range? Two of my sponsorees were marching guard there at that time. Yup. It was 2008. https://www.dci.org/news/madison-scouts-unite-on-the-banks-of-the-flooding-baraboo

Baraboo was 2007-2009.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick H said:

Last year, some group sold reserved parking in the lots on North St. Elmo (between HamFam and the stadium). Does anybody know who that was and how to sign up for this year?.

For the last 20-30 years we have parked on S. St. Elmo by Union Terrace park, but I'm getting too old for the walk.  

there are several groups in there, however they are maxed out for space with the current numbers in their group. I know...i paid for my spot in the legendary Pineville section, and 2 cars scammed their way in

11 hours ago, xandandl said:

especially if you have to walk off your stop at Yoccos.:laughing:

It's the hill that keeps killing my knees. 

I have long believed DCI and individual corps have missed a money making possibility or at least a better public relations opportunity that would come with a golf cart valet service taking the elderly and disabled to the top of the hill and souvie area from the main gate... or even from the back gate by the cemetery (for those whose seats may be closer to the field.) Hip surgery and knee replacement: the Irish-Catholic eighth sacrament.

LOL... that Yocco's certainly is conveniently located!!! 

We actually lucked out the Friday of that weekend last year... one of our favorite food trucks from the region happened to be in downtown Allentown that afternoon/evening, so we grabbed a bite there on our way in.

That hill is nuts. Great idea about the golf carts!!!

11 hours ago, xandandl said:

I have long believed DCI and individual corps have missed a money making possibility or at least a better public relations opportunity that would come with a golf cart valet service taking the elderly and disabled to the top of the hill and souvie area from the main gate... or even from the back gate by the cemetery (for those whose seats may be closer to the field.) Hip surgery and knee replacement: the Irish-Catholic eighth sacrament.

During the two weeks of the Hunstman World Senior Games in St. George each October, they provide free large golf cart service back and forth from the main parking lot to the Snow Canyon Softball Complex for anyone.  It's not a really long hike or a very steep climb, but a nice touch.  We ball players enjoy the apple/orange/banana slices provided before each game. at all the fields used.

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there are several groups in there, however they are maxed out for space with the current numbers in their group. I know...i paid for my spot in the legendary Pineville section, and 2 cars scammed their way in

Last year there was a group set up across the street from the diner mid-day Fri, selling spots on both sides of the street. They had one 2-nite spot left. I gave them my email, but got no contact info from them. Will try Thursday if we get there in time.

4 hours ago, Dick H said:

Last year there was a group set up across the street from the diner mid-day Fri, selling spots on both sides of the street. They had one 2-nite spot left. I gave them my email, but got no contact info from them. Will try Thursday if we get there in time.

must be the other part of the lot. our group never has spares LOL

There's a Holiday Inn Express, Howard Johnson Inn & Suites (really cheap <$100), and Comfort Suites on Hamilton Blvd. All look close to the show venue - two miles according to Google. One or more of those three acceptable for two nights in Allentown?

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

There's a Holiday Inn Express, Howard Johnson Inn & Suites (really cheap <$100), and Comfort Suites on Hamilton Blvd. All look close to the show venue - two miles according to Google. One or more of those three acceptable for two nights in Allentown?

Those are all above average places to stay, and there are several places to eat within walking distance. Problem is, Dorney Park/Wildwater Kingdom across the street is in full swing, so the amount of rooms available will be small.

The real lodging problem in Allentown is not the total amount of hotel rooms within 10 miles, that number of rooms has doubled from the early days of DCI-East. The trouble is, there is no hotel space within easy walking distance of the stadium. Many did walk to stadium from the Holiday Inn downtown but that is closed for renovation this year. Two blocks away from the closed Holiday Inn is the expensive Renaissance Hotel that is sure to be sold out due to the Rod Stewart concert in the attached arena Friday night.

Plenty of free neighborhood curb parking both north and south of the stadium. Clean and safe, but several blocks (minimum) to walk. Muhlenberg College lots and Fairgrounds parking still available. A couple hundred temporary paid spaces pop-up around the stadium, too.

We have some taxi companies, ride shares, etc., but limited public bus runs. There is no doubt, things get quite congested particularly after the event.

New this year, a block from the Ham Fam Diner is a small strip mall with a large Sports Bar named Big Woody's. After event, best bet might be to go there if you plan to wait around for any kind of car service. Traffic right at the stadium is essentially non-existent.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1