News from Allentown

29 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

New this year, a block from the Ham Fam Diner is a small strip mall with a large Sports Bar named Big Woody's. After event, best bet might be to go there if you plan to wait around for any kind of car service. Traffic right at the stadium is essentially non-existent.

Big Woody's was there last year, too... the Crossmen Alumni and Friends group had a Friday night gathering there.  Pretty good pub grub. Hopefully heading there again this year!!!

33 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Big Woody's was there last year, too... the Crossmen Alumni and Friends group had a Friday night gathering there.  Pretty good pub grub. Hopefully heading there again this year!!!

Morning, Fran!

I did not know they were open last year. Big Woody's is named after former Philadelphia Eagles (and Allentown resident) Woody Marcks. Seems to me, anyone relying on some kind of car service should not expect pick-ups to be possible right at the stadium after the event. I don't think those cars will be able to get anywhere near adjacent stadium streets.

Over the years, I've parked and walked a mile to attend the Indy 500. Couldn't do that anymore, though! Allentown is not really a good choice for those unable to walk at least 2-4 blocks.

Edited by Fred Windish

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Morning, Fran!

I did not know they were open last year. Big Woody's is named after former Philadelphia Eagles (and Allentown resident) Woody Marcks. Seems to me, anyone relying on some kind of car service should not expect pick-ups to be possible right at the stadium after the event. I don't think those cars will be able to get anywhere near adjacent stadium streets.

Over the years, I've parked and walked a mile to attend the Indy 500. Couldn't do that anymore, though! Allentown is not really a good choice for those unable to walk at least 2-4 blocks.

Yep... they were open, but the rest of that strip mall was still a work in progress.  LOL.  We were able to find a parking spot there for the Friday night get-together, no problem.

This is a bucket list venue for me.  Not good news.  :(

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

This is a bucket list venue for me.  Not good news.  :(

What Jeff said. Go if you can, even once!!!

Parking can be  a challenge, but it's not impossible.

Edited by Fran Haring

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

What Jeff said. Go if you can, even once!!!

Yeah I plan to!  Will be a trip my son and I take together.  He says he'd rather go there than Indy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, luv4corps said:

Yeah I plan to!  Will be a trip my son and I take together.  He says he'd rather go there than Indy.

ditto.

yeah it's not an NFL stadium, or even major college. That's part of the charm. they keep adding hotels. Philly and New York just a few hours away. Ok so parking is a challenge. Yeah it doesn't have NFL level concessions. it also doesn't have NFL level parking and food prices.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I try to schedule my vacation so I can hit both Allentown and Indy. While I enjoy the momentum of Indy, Allentown has a charm about it. I love that it is held at an outdoor stadium and it has a timeless feel. I also enjoy side trips on Saturday: Amish Country, Hershey Park, Dorney Park, Roadside America, are reasonably easy day trips if you get up early and have tickets for the Saturday night show in advance. I've also stopped at interesting places while stopping at rehearsal sights. 

• Like 1

I've been going to Allentown for over 25 years.  J Birney Crum and the park are very special places!  And the corps are full of emotion as it is the last chance to make a move before Indy!

• Like 1