All time shows: Blue Devils

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Not trying to be snarky, but ... '94?!?  What did you not like about that one?

Mike

Musically I thought it was a strong show, but from a visual standpoint I thought the design was atrocious, and executed very poorly at many times. I am a huge fan of BD, but this show just never did it for me. Watch this video for example around 1'45"

This show to me, much like Cavaliers 2002 seem to me like shows that many people like because it's what our little community has decided. But like Cavaliers 2002, if you watch it objectively it's not as well designed and performed-especially visually as people choose to remember it.

Disclaimer, have definitely watched every show post 1972 so I'm not just listing a lot of recents because of lack of exposure......I just really like what they've done as of late.  The way they layer, tier their designs, and execute is just undeniably awesome to watch.  Can't really list a least favorite because I don't think they've done anything bad.  Not to my liking?  Of course but that's my own personal taste.  

1) - Metamorph - 2017

I really connected with their 2017 show in the final weeks of the season starting around Atlanta.  When they started adding the voiceovers and fleshing out the back half of the show it finally came together into something pretty magical.  I thought the presentation of past, present, and future were pretty masterfully done.  I can certainly understand how the back few minutes might not be your thing for sure but if that was a glimpse at what they're going to venture into color me excited.  And come on......the ballad.  Holy God.  That alone is just unreal.  I think my immaturity as a fan when I was in high school and earlier in college unfairly tainted my views of their shows but 2017 finally made me get over that and become a full on fan of what they do.  Cannot wait to see what they do in 2018 because of it.

2) Felliniesque - 2014

I love love love shows that work on multiple tiers and have real depth of design and this one is so deep.  If you were a casual fan you could stop at it's a show about making movies and you'd probably really enjoy it.  Start digging into the Fellini inspirations and things they do and depict and suddenly there is so much more there to find.  And paired with unhuman execution on pretty much every level and it's no wonder it was unstoppable.  I love every single part of this show which is hard for me to say on most.  The ballad and ending especially are just magical.  

3) Cabaret Voltaire - 2012

This is a love or hate show it seems and I really kind of love it.  It's absolutely chaotic and bonkers but of course that is the point.  I can still go back to this show and find lots of interesting little things I missed the last time which is what I've really come to love about the Blue Devils current iteration.  I love how the use the Apollo 13 theme in this show, really fantastic way to bookend this show.  

4) Jazz: Music Made in America - 2002

I think I really like this one because it's one of the first shows I ever watched, so a lot of 2002 shows have a special place in my heart.  Not much to say other than it's just straight up jazz and straight up fun.  Finding out after the fact a huge portion of this show was rewritten and reworked was very interesting, you can't tell if you don't know that.  Only the Blue Devils.  

5) Rhythms at the Edge of Time - 1999

Love the aggressiveness of this show, just incredibly bombastic and explosive the whole twelve minutes.  They can do ballads so well, and this one is no exception.  Love how they gradually move farther away in contrast to the music building and climaxing.  Just a great drum corps show.

Honorable Mentions:

- 2016s ballad is about the most perfectly staged and evocative of the music visual moment I can think of as of late.  The guard member ascending out of the brass in the climax of that is absolutely chilling.  This show had some tiny flaws overall but a ballad that is just jaw droppingly good in terms of design.

- 1993s horn book.  Listen to it all the time.  And 1991.  

- 1994 is a classic of course.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Off topic question but I wonder if the brass ge tape for 1992 finals was ever made public...would love to hear those comments during When a Man Loves a Woman.

This is a tough one but here goes (ask me in a month and it probably changes).

Favorites:

1988 my most listened to show

2012 loved from the first time I saw it

1990 Tommy!

Honorable mention:

And finally the one BD show I dislike intensely:

2010 about three times a year I force myself to listen to it.  It never gets any better.

Favorites:

• 2009 - 1930
  • 1997 - As Time Goes By
  • 2011 - The Beat My Heart Skipped
  • 2017 - Metamorph
  • 2003 - The Phenomenon of Cool

Least:

• 2016 - As Dreams Are Made On
  • 2008 - Constantly Risking Absurdity
  • 1998 - One Hand One Heart
Edited by Shempy

Favorites:

2017 Metamorph (everything about this show is amazing; nothing else compared)

2008 Constantly Risking Absurdity (had no idea where that show was going to take me and I enjoyed every step of the journey; should have won by a decent margin)

2012 Cabaret Voltaire (like 2008, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey; on my weekly playlist)

2010 Through a Glass Darkly (masterpiece in my opinion)

2007 Winged Victory (love the intensity of the first part, the slow intensity that builds the middle right to the triumphant ending)

2004 SummerTrain Blues MIX (just great music and played with such confidence and bravura; still play it weekly)

2016 As Dreams are Made On (love the ominous opener)

2003 Phenomenon of Cool (didn’t like it visually at first but the whole show has grown on me as my musical tastes matured)

2015 Ink (very creative; love the intro and wolf section the most; ballad was good also)

Just OK:

2006 The Godfather, Part BLUE (found it musically repetitive)

Haven’t looked into their older catalog as much; gotta get on that. Their recent shows have made me a big fan now that I’ve grown to appreciate what they do.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, Sideways said:

Off topic question but I wonder if the brass ge tape for 1992 finals was ever made public...would love to hear those comments during When a Man Loves a Woman.

I must be the only person in the world that really isn't exactly gaga/crazy loving/fond of that number. :huh:

On 2/1/2018 at 1:14 PM, dcifan1999 said:

Musically I thought it was a strong show, but from a visual standpoint I thought the design was atrocious, and executed very poorly at many times. I am a huge fan of BD, but this show just never did it for me. Watch this video for example around 1'45"

This show to me, much like Cavaliers 2002 seem to me like shows that many people like because it's what our little community has decided. But like Cavaliers 2002, if you watch it objectively it's not as well designed and performed-especially visually as people choose to remember it.

Actually this took what Star did in 93 and paved the way further forward. It’s also the year the design team began their now 20+ year collaboration. Visually a mess fits in perfectly today when using old standards too