Favorite year as MM

What was your fave year as a member, and why? Personal and/or corps reasons. 

For me it was my rookie year, with Capital Regiment, in 2004. Experiences are always most intense and memorable the first time around, and I felt like every housing site, show, etc was burned into my mind and body for a year afterward. It was a huge musical, physical, emotional and social challenge, and the feeling of accomplishment I felt at the end of the summer was incredible. Lost 25 lbs. It was the first time I had been immersed in rehearsing and performance constantly, and it convinced me to declare a music major that fall.

A lot of the corps were rookies, and there were a bunch of 15-17 year olds. A lot of low brass, like me, had minimal experience on our instruments. First year for the corps on Bb horns. Our design staff and instructors were mostly Cadets, and they kicked the hell of us all the time, but we respected them for it. I think a lot of people (again myself included) were just so young, naive and happy to be in a corps that we didn't notice some of the off-field issues as much. The show was classic '90s Cadets, an arrangement of Holsinger. Theme was very light. No props, no characters, no narration, no amps, no ########. People liked us, and we went from 19th to 14th. 

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 3

I marched in 2010, watching shows develop throughout the summer was great. Some amazing productions that year: 

Bluecoats with Metropolis was probably my favorite to catch throughout the summer, such an awesome show, so different than most things on the field around that time. Really pushed Coats into that upper echelon. 

Phantom had my second favorite that summer with Into the Light, such emotion and power from that music book. Wish phantom's programming could revisit this style. 

Not always a fan of BD, but this show was one that really got to me. They deserved the Gold.  

Crown with A Se2ond Chance had spectacular music and I really enjoyed the program, despite it being a Part II show. 

Cavie's Mad World was the last program from the green machine that I really loved. 

Crusader's Thy Kingdom Come was some great program design. Loved the source music of Glassmen that year too, The Prayer Cycle.

Others that were enjoyable to catch throughout the summer: SCV, SOA, and Teal Sound

• Like 2

I was in a local-circuit junior corps in the 1970s, for six seasons before joining a DCA corps.  My junior corps (Sacred Heart Crusaders, Manville, NJ) didn't accomplish much...  nothing on the national scene... but we had fun, and had a few decent-to-good years.

My favorite year there... probably 1974. We had a small horn line, 25 or so.  But we certainly were not shy about playing out.  LOL.  Our claim to fame that summer... we made the Class A finals at the Key to the Sea show in Toledo, OH. It was nice to 1) finally make it past a prelims show, and 2) compete against some very good Class A corps from that era... Seneca Princemen, Glassmen, Charioteers,  Marquis, Windjammers, Cadets of Greece, among others.

My favorite year with DCA's Sunrisers... my second season there, 1978. Our second straight DCA title.  In '78 I had lost the rookie  "deer in the headlights" look I had in '77... LOL... and was able to contribute more, at least from my perspective.  Plus... we had a great corps in 1978. 14 wins in 17 shows ... including DCA prelims and finals.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

My favorite year was my third season of corps but my first year in Guardsmen.  We made finals in 1976 after the corps had placed 31st in 1975.  Very exciting.  

Years later, I had a great time in the Royal-Airs reunion corps in 2002.  My knees hate me for it now. :laughing:

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Fave Year":

Was marching years before "DCI".  Fave year was 1965.  Firts year with Mr Hy Drietzer, (Best horn show BTW),  had our most experienced corps, and managed to beat BOTH our crosstown rivals, one of them in the Finals of the World Open, right in old Bridgeport.   :innocent:

Wonderfull memories.     :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba    :flower:

• Like 3

Marching  - 1971 in Garfield. That was an amazing year of drum corps, as a bunch of us broke the old mold and created very radical shows for the era. We were very young, but actually pretty decent, placing 6th at the World Open and 7th at VFW Nats. 

Just a magical year all around.

• Like 3

I marched the first three years of Spirit of Atlanta, but my favorite year was our second year, 1978. We had finished in 23rd place at 1977 finals in Denver, so no one was expecting much out of our sophomore effort, despite having a lot of returnees from a year of almost all rookies. Jim Ott began telling us in the spring of 1978 that we had something special, but his words really didn't click with us until we got to the second show of tour, in Cedarburg, Wisc. That night, the crowd was electric, and we began to feed off the crowd's reaction to our still very-new corps from the South. The audience shot to their feet when we hit the company front in Let It Be Me, and remained standing for the rest of the show. It was pretty much like that the rest of the season, which was so much fun because NO one was expecting the sound that Jim Ott coaxed from us. We ended up the year in 6th place, missing the high horns trophy (which would later be named for Jim) by a mere .05. Not too shabby considering that only two of the horn players had ever even held a bugle before our first rehearsal for the previous season.

• Like 6