Favorite year as MM

On 2/9/2018 at 1:36 AM, tommynev said:

My favorite year as a member (Cavaliers) was 95, not just because we won, but because it was such a fun show to rehearse and perform. We got our butts kicked competitively multiple times but we just kept pushing. We had an amazing staff as well. Every other corps that summer was just brilliant, too. A great year for the activity.

I think Cavaliers 1995 may be the most coherent and well-constructed musical composition in the history of the activity.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, FlamMan said:

1976 Blue Devils is my #1 favorite drum corp show and drum line of all time. I was in a small corp at the time and I idolized the BD snare line. I remember sitting in my bedroom at night trying to figure out the snare charts and writing them out. Then, 1 year ago or so, a member of DCP who marched in the 1976 snare line, heck it might have been you,  sent me a PDF of the actual hand written snare chart  by Rick Odello. Good stuff.

Yes, it was me.  Rick gave us the parts in chunks over the course of a few months.  Sometime during the year, I wrote out the whole part.   I did the same for 77 since the only change was the 2nd movement.  Years later, I found it in a box.  It was pretty messed up so I wrote out a new clean copy - I think that was in 2011.  I sent it to Rick and all the guys as a 35 yr anniversary present.

FYI - I did the same thing as you with learning snare parts...only I was captivated with Santa Clara 1972 -1975.  To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't try out there since it was actually closer to my house than Concord.  I went to my first practice for BD and instantly felt like it "fit", so I never made it to SC.  Funny thing is, I moved in with BD guys who lived in San Jose.  We commuted to practice in Silverstein's VW bus.  Great times, for sure! 

Tough call.

It's between 1982 and 1984 Westshore for totally opposite reasons. 1982 was when all things clicked for Westshore, nearly winning DCA's, working under some very fine staff.

1984 was the 6 week wonder corps that showed up at Prelims for their first number and still beat 4 or 5 year-round corps. I liked that one because everyone got along, unlike 1983. We had a lot of fun, maybe too much. 1983 was prolly by far the best show, best drill, best music, best horn line, but the drama,  3 ring chasers in particular... the only term I can think of is the Italian term for the end of WW1.... " vittoria mutilata". Hmm, how do you say "Mutilated season" in Italian!? :innocent:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, c mor said:

Yes, it was me.  Rick gave us the parts in chunks over the course of a few months.  Sometime during the year, I wrote out the whole part.   I did the same for 77 since the only change was the 2nd movement.  Years later, I found it in a box.  It was pretty messed up so I wrote out a new clean copy - I think that was in 2011.  I sent it to Rick and all the guys as a 35 yr anniversary present.

FYI - I did the same thing as you with learning snare parts...only I was captivated with Santa Clara 1972 -1975.  To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't try out there since it was actually closer to my house than Concord.  I went to my first practice for BD and instantly felt like it "fit", so I never made it to SC.  Funny thing is, I moved in with BD guys who lived in San Jose.  We commuted to practice in Silverstein's VW bus.  Great times, for sure! 

Thanks again for the Channel One Suite snare chart!

• Like 1