All time shows: The Colts

It's officially Valentine's season so what better time to head to Iowa and discuss THE RED TEAM!

What are your top 1-5 Colts shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

Week 5- Carolina Crown- Favorite: 2015 Inferno; Least Favorite: 2017 ...It is

Week 6- The Mandarins- 2017 inside the ink for favorite.

Week 7- Boston Crusaders- 2000 RED is the favorite.

Week 8- Pioneer- 1996 Celtic Twilight is the favorite.

Week 9- Santa Clara Vanguard- 1999 Inventions for a New Millennium favorite. 1995 Not the Nutcracker least favorite.

Week 10- Oregon Crusaders 2014 Nevermore is the favorite

Week 11- The Crossmen- 1992 Songs for the Planet Earth is the favorite.

Week 12- The Cadets- 2011 Between Angels and Demons is the favorite. 2006 The Zone Part II least favorite.

Week 13 Corrps that are no longer with us. Every show is a winner!

Week 14 Genesis TIE 2016 Hell Hath No Fury and 2017 the other side of now.   Music City 2017 the tribe

Week 15 Madison Scouts- 1995 A Drum Corps Fan's Dream: A Day in the Life of a Bull Fighter. Least Favorite 2009 Relampago

Week 16- The Academy- favorite 2016 Drum Corpse Bride

Week 17- Seattle Cascades- favorite 2002 City Riffs

Week 18- The Blue Devils Favorite 1986. Least Favorite-2010 through a glass darkly

My favorite Colts shows are all during the Chuck Naffier era. There are many to choose from but my favorite is probably the 1996 Rutter Magnificat show. I have a soft spot for 93, 94, and 95 shows as well, but the 96 show is criminally underrated.

Z

• Like 1

Favorites:

1. 2007 - Equinox (everything just came together for them that season)
  2. 2008 - Night and Day (I actually like portions of this show more than 2007 but their execution was weaker and it just didn't have the BUZZ of their previous season)
  3. 1996 - The Magnificat (kind of plain old school drum corps, but well performed and I love John Rutter's work)
  4. 1995 - Sunday in the Park with George (their highest placement ever - good show but it really doesn't stick in your head that much)
  5. 2015 - And a Shot Rings Out (they really committed to this type of story-driven show and performed it well - some people complained of the voice overs but it didn't bother me like their 2014 show)

Least Favorite:

1. 2016 - Nachtmusik (boring show with uninspiring music and the light boxes which never worked right - check out Union HS's 2016 show for effective use of light boxes)
  2. 2004 - From the Heartland (not really terrible or anything, just kinda boring and sloppy with nothing particularly memorable)
  3. 2012 - Boundaries (this show needed a lot of work & would probably be in #1 spot if it wasn't for the All By Myself closer - which was great)

1993, as many votes as you are willing to tally for me for 1993. If I need to do a top 5

1997-Didn't make finals, but that Blood, Sweat and Tears show was a blast to watch!

Re Corps8294 comment " Absolute favorite is 1985. ":

I'm kind of partial to that one, myself. Robb Muller had what was then a radical notion: put multiple trap sets in the pit and stage a drum battle during "Sing, Sing, Sing". During an era of very entertaining shows, this one ranked with the best of them.

Incidentally, if you watched the Super Bowl Halftime last Sunday you may have seen some of Robb's current students.

The Colts have had some real artistic successes. My favorite is the Sondheim-themed show, arranged so skillfully by Chuck Naffier.

Edited by ironlips
additional text
  • Like 1

All right, Colts!  Let's do this.

Favorites -

Voices (1999) - probably the best Colts show as well as my favorite.  Took Chuck's vocal stylings from the year before and turned everything else up a notch.  It really felt like this was the year the corps was going to make a move from the bottom of Finals to the middle.  Strong drumline as well.

A Cappella Celebration (1998) - by far the best repertoire the Colts have ever fielded.  I still listen to Morning.  Great brass book (echoed by Crown's Angelus show, in some ways), and just soooooo good to listen to.

Nachtmusik (2016) - I loved the collection of tunes they put together, even if they were a bit of a rehash, but the visual book for me was outstanding.  <points to the sky> Took a theme and just ran with it.  The boxes were cool! 

Honorable Mention - Blood, Sweat and Tears (1997) - the show kind of fell off a cliff after the opener, but my God, that opener.  Absolutely blasted you into the row behind you!

Not so favorites -

I dont' know if there's one I *didn't* like, but there were a lot of years for me (ok, about 15) that just kind of blend together in a "meh" way. 

Mike